oucom - class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steely

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all. just wanted to see if there are any other ohio univ d.o.'s-to-be out there. drop a line so we all know each other come august. -mike

Members don't see this ad.

Steely,

I?ll be attending OUCOM in August. I?ll be in Athens early next week (April 23rd 24th) looking for housing?..

I shadowed a MS-III in February from OUCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Steely,

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to OUCOM next year -- no one ever seems to post to this forum. Anyway, are you PCC or CPC, or still undecided? Also, have you checked out the OUCOM website? They've posted a tentative orientation week schedule.
See ya in August!

------------------
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I'm trying to revive this posting. Let's hear from other class of 2005 OUCOM students. Surely someone besides me will be headed to Athens this fall.

Hello. I will attending ou-com come August. I attented undergrad there. Hey, anyone know if we can change our minds about the program(cpc or pcc) we choose, after we have already chosen it. I have signed on for CPC, but am seriously considering changing due to all the negative feedback other students have given about that program.
-Kimberly

I chose the PCC program because of the small group setting and the ability to learn medicine through case studies. I think after two weeks of classes they allow people to change their minds about the program they originally chose.

:eek:

Wow, I was in such a rush last time I posted I did not catch all those errors. Sorry!

Both programs sound desirable but I feel PCC might be a bit risky. I also intended to say last time that the negative feedback I heard was from some PCC students. I know that you can change from PCC to CPC in the two weeks but is vice versa allowed?

So when does everyone plan on arriving in Athens?

I'm pretty sure we will be able to switch between either of the two programs during the first two weeks. What bad things have you heard??

I will be moving to Athens sometime during the weekend before the 27th. Anyone getting nervous yet?

I just heard that in PCC it is hard to learn everything for a particular section when you yourself only cover part of it, and rely on others to teach you the rest, as opposed to being taught all of it in more of a classroom type setting(CPC) This is just one person's opinion however and I think we will just have to wait and see before really knowing which program suits us best. I don't think I want to be "jumping" between the programs, though, so I decided to go with the safer of the two(in my opinion), CPC.

Are you from Columbus? I have been working here this past year at the OSU Medical Center.

I am a little nervous that I might suffer a heat stroke on the way to class in August, Athens is hot!!, but either than that I am just ready to get started.

I'm a third year PCC student and I figured I'd throw in my two cents. Its interesting that you say that PCC sounds risky when its been around for a decade and the CPC has been around for 2 years (??hmm??). Also, its not a matter of which program is "better" its a matter of which program is better suited for you. If you can read a case and take it upon yourself to read about the aspects of the case that you don't understand, learn the basic science behind the system or pathology of the case... basically, if you like to look things up yourself, without someone telling you what you need to look up, then you'll like the PCC. If you feel more comfortable with a clear cut syllabus stating your learning objectives (item by item), then you'll like the CPC. In the end, it all comes down to what you do on your own time, outside of class, not what you do in class.
They are both good programs, I don't know that I am any more prepared than my classmates but I feel very comfortable with my clinical skills and have seen a hell of alot more patients and procedures in the last 2 years than they have.
I love the PCC and I wouldn't have had it any other way in a million years.
by the way, you can switch from the PCC to the CPC but not the other way around. There is an application process for getting into the PCC and there is usually a waiting list.
Enjoy your time on campus! It goes very quickly and soon you'll be off to your CORE sites. good luck!

Yes, I have lived in Columbus for the past four years. I have been out of school for about 4.5 years, so I'm a little nervous about the "being back in school" thing. I'm not too worried about the material or the studying as I've always been a hard worker. I hope it's not as intense right away as I'm afraid it might be. I guess we will see in a couple weeks, huh?

I think the freedom to learn on my own is the reason I chose PCC. The other great aspect was that you get lots more patient contact than the CPC students. I think that will come in handy later...

hey. . . i started this thing back in april, but after graduation i left the country and just got back a few weeks ago and completely forgot all about it. glad to see some people are responding and communicating. i'll be moving down on the 21st and i decided to do the cpc program because i need syllabi and lecture halls. . . hope everyone enjoys their last couple weeks of freedom! later - steely