OUCOM Self-Directed Learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prudent Student

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a strong chance I will be in the class of 2008 at OUCOM (actually I am in the class but am still interviewing elsewhere as well), and I am very interested in the self-directed learning curriculum. The only exposure I've had to it was the interview day. If any of you guys out there are familiar with it or ar doing it, please feel free to tell me anything and everything about it. All I know is that instead of going to a bunch of lectures tha students in the other curriculum are supposed to attend, you meet in groups and research stuff on your own. Please, take it from there. Thanks! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahaha.

I'm in the "self-directed learning curriculum" myself.

It's called skipping class.

No need to go to Oklahoma just for that.

:laugh:

The choice of curricula at OUCOM is a bit confusing at first. There are two choices, the CPC is a more traditional curriculum with some group case based learning.

The PCC is centered around case based learning in small groups with some additional traditional classes. PCC is "student directed" in the sense that the students are given cases and they decide what "learning issues" they want to cover. This is the material that is used for testing purposes. There is extensive behind the scenes involvement from the faculty to create cases that foster solid learning issues but it is ultimately up to the students to decide. One thing that I was not aware of was that the PCCers also take some traditional classes such as histo, anatomy, medical instruments, and OMM in addition to the group sessions.

There is certainly an element of faith required to overcome the trepidation that most students have at first. It is a very foreign curriculum for most people.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to each curriculum. Advantages I see in the PCC are 1) better retention of learned material due to an emotional attachment to it 2) increased ability to learn material that is important to you 3) LESS STRESS (except around time for boards). Disadvantages include 1) more effort and perhaps more time required to learn material (although this helps round out your education) 2) more time is required in the second year to learn material not covered in group for the boards 3) potential interpersonal problems within the groups 4) more self-motivation is required to stay on top of things.

Those are the highlights in my opinion. After just finishing finals, I can still say that I love it and I would recommend it to others.

Feel free to PM me with further questions.