OUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeyes

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up everybody? I will be a first-year student at the Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine in the fall. I just graduated with a BS in Microbiology from Ohio State and am a huge Buckeye fan. I was wondering if anybody on this web site was either a student at OU or going to be starting there in the fall? I have only been to OU twice, but the moment I set foot on campus, I knew that I wanted to go there. Plus, I heard that they have a kick ass party scene and tons of bars. It is going to be great to relax and have a few beers every once in awhile after exams. If anyone has any imput on OU, let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Buckeyes,
How's it going? I went to OSU in the winter to interview. It seemed like a good school overall. But, I am not going there, I am going to UOMHS in Des Moines this fall. I received an interview notification at OUCOM late in the application season, but I declined it because I already accepted my seat at UOMHS (and my wife was able to transfer to Des Moines (she probably wouldn't have been able to do so in Athens anyway.) OUCOM is a great school to go to. Have you ever visited? Check out their website, it is very good. They have CORE hospitals including Doctors Hospital in Columbus. They also are good if you want to do research. I think it will be nice to go to a medical school that is affiliated with a University so you can occasionally do the college thing and go see the football, and basketball teams, party, etc. Have fun, and good luck.

Congradulations on your acceptance to OU-COM. I am applying there for the Fall 2000. In my humble opinion OU-COM is one of the best programs (DO or MD) in the country. They have excellent basic sciences and a truly innovative curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!! I'll be at OU in the fall too. Its good to hear from someone that will be a fellow member of the class of 2003. I graduated from the University of Cincinnati but my brother in law works for OSU's alumni assoc. so I have the best of both worlds(OSU football and UC basketball)Have you found housing yet? If you haven't I would suggest that you find some ASAP! Housing is tight in Athens!! Which curriculum did you decide on?? Well, Its great to hear from you. You can reach me at [email protected]
If I don't hear from you I'll see you in Aug.

J. Chellini

I am glad to see a few OUCOM posts. I will also be beginning at OUCOM this fall. I agree that housing is hard to get in Athens. I plan next week. Looking forward to meeting you during orientation.

Try:

Athens Station
Carriage Hills
Athens Apartments
And any private places in the plains Only about 5 miles from campus.

Your Welcome

Does anybody know the OUCOM orientation dates for the upcoming school year? I don't think I have received anything in the mail saying when and how long orientation is supposed to be. I think classes start on Sept 7th, but I could be mistaken.

check the OU web site look for student services. It's under faculty, staff and students.

See you there

[This message has been edited by alfredoatlas (edited July 16, 1999).]

Hello everyone... I am a 3rd year medical student at OUCOM. I was browsing through the messages and noticed that you guys were wondering about housing in Athens. Please be very careful and cautious about the housing that you choose over here. Some of the landlords will rip you off and some of them have a reputation for various major illegal code violations. My experience with Carriage Hill has been very bad- I would not recommend it to anyone. My personal experience involved NUMEROUS cockroaches roaming the entire apartment building. I am not the only medical student that has had this problem with this particular facility. I highly recommend that you go to the Code Enforcement Office in Athens to check out a prospective housing establishment prior to signing a lease. Unfortunately, housing disputes and inadequate housing are big problems over here. Other than that, OUCOM is a great school.... university politics and all. The new curriculum will be a great addition to the college. Good luck to you all! If you need any further assistance, just let me know.
LM

I noticed some of the things LM talked about last week when I was looking for a place in Athens. Since I have a family, we were looking for a decent place close to campus that is affordable. We finally found a nice duplex about 2.5 miles away. Most of the places within a mile are dumps for the money. You have to spend quite a bit for a good place. Anyway, good luck to all who are still looking.
M. Abbas