OUHCOM- what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bucks17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.25 uGPA
3.5 last 40 hrs
492 mcat 2020
3.75 GPA in Case Western MSMP, committee letter, pass physiology cumulative final- Linkage if you get 500 but retaking in February
600hrs patient care associate
other EC's fulfilled
Grew up and in live in southern ohio where the school is and shown dedication to our area.

What are my chances without retaking the mcat? I have seen they take a wide range of mcat starting 490-519. Would a case like mine be similar to why they would take a low mcat?

Members don't see this ad.

Fill out a template.

When you state "linkage," you mean with OUHCOM or CWRU?

492 is under threshold (498 among MD schools) which shows ability to subsequently succeed on USMLE and graduation. You need to retake.

If not, podiatry is an option. KSUCPM is not far from CWRU.

Fill out a template.

492 is under threshold (498 among MD schools) which shows ability to subsequently succeed on USMLE and graduation. You need to retake.

Hi! I meant that the msmp at cwru has a linkage with OUHCOM which is my number one choice. I think i would retake the mcat before podiatry because I am quite confident that I can do better after the rigor of the msmp.

thanks for commenting!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fill out a template.

also what do you mean by fill out a template?

I think ouhcom looks a lot for mission fit and activities. I have significantly higher stats and live right by campus but didn't receive an II

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS- 3.25 undergrad cGPA and 3.02 sGPA (A's in ochem 2 and biochem in last 30 credit hours)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 491 mcat breakdown 122, 122, 126, 121- yeah i took it without studying enough psych and I was nervous for chem but can do better
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) Ohio
  4. Ethnicity and/or race- Caucasian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Ohio State bachelors and Case Western MSMP 3.75 GPA
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)- 700 hours Ohio state James Cancer center Patient Care Associate + 70 hours free healthcare clinic assistant
  7. Research experience and productivity- no research
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented- 75 hours family medicine and pediatrics
  9. Non-clinical volunteering- 120 hours- Feed my starving children, basketball/football coach for my community, free food drive coordinator
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important- Rural southeastern ohio applicant first in my family to pursue a science degree, disadvantaged. Live close to OUHCOM
  13. Case western linkage to OUHCOM for msmp students reaching 3.5 gpa + 500 mcat from select ohio counties.
Is there any chance that my performance in my SMP could get me an interview with OUHCOM or any other DO schools. There is an NBME physiology final at the end of the program that I performed well on and a committee letter of rec

any thoughts are appreciated and yes I am going to take the mcat again

Do what you need to do to secure the conditions of that articulation agreement. Your advisors should be able to inform you based on history.

As for any other DO schools, it's possible, but you may have to give up your goal with living near your family. But you should look into it.

You need to retake the MCAT and score at least 500. Don not retake until your practice scores are consistently at least 500.

Reactions: 2 users
Graduate of Case Western MSMP with 3.72 GPA
Graduate of Ohio State 3.3 uGPA
494 MCAT- I just can't bring it up- 125 in chem phys and 126 Bio
2000 hours patient care assistant
120 hours shadowing.
Assuming everything else is in line do I have any shot for DO schools in or surrounding Ohio?

OU-HCOM is my number one choice since I grew up right next to it. Case MSMP also has a linkage but I did not meet the 500 mcat. Any thoughts are appreciated! It is frustrating because many parts of the MSMP are more difficult than the MCAT. There is a cumulative final similar to NBME exams that I did well on. Super frustrated.

120 hours shadowing.
Assuming everything else is in line do I have any shot for DO schools in or surrounding Ohio?

OU-HCOM is my number one choice since I grew up right next to it. Case MSMP also has a linkage but I did not meet the 500 mcat. Any thoughts are appreciated! It is frustrating because many parts of the MSMP are more difficult than the MCAT. There is a cumulative final similar to NBME exams that I did well on. Super frustrated.
It is time to look at different careers.

Members don't see this ad :)
120 hours shadowing.

gotta get that MCAT up to at least a 498, even the new schools aren't interviewing below it

Reactions: 1 users
120 hours shadowing.

The GPA-MCAT grid for DO schools shows you have a ~20% chance for a DO acceptance. You should target the new schools as well as OU-HCOM. These are schools you can consider:
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
WCU-COM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
Orlando (when it opens)
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
BCOM
ICOM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
Any new schools that open in the coming year.
Apply in June and submit all secondaries by July.

Last edited:
No offense, but I will prove you wrong.
From what you have shared, you have received scores of 492 and now 494. If you do not believe you can get it up, it is better to save the time and money, especially if you paid a lot for the Case MSMP.

No offense, but I will prove you wrong.
I welcome anyone who bets on themselves and goes against probability. Do the faculty at the SMP agree with your confidence? How will they support your application in your program institutional letter? Do they have a strong track record getting applicants with MCAT < 500 into any medical school? For your success, I expect you know the answers.

P.S. Avoid the schools that average your MCAT scores when screening your application.

If you are just putting your chips in for Heritage, then make sure they know. Listen carefully to what they want you to do.

120 hours shadowing.

Was this your second attempt? If you've already invested a ton of money (and performed pretty well) in an SMP and the MCAT is the only thing that's holding you back, why not figure out a way to spend 6 months of full-time MCAT study and take it again? Your gonna spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical school, why not spend the money on an intense MCAT prep program, put in the work, and bring it up? I know it seems trite, but given your experience, It just seems like a pretty straightforward fix, especially if your first attempt was during your SMP and it seems like you only had 3 months of time between attempts. If you're sub 500, I personally think you need more than 3 months to bring that up. Go full steam at the MCAT for 6-10 months, get a solid score, and apply wherever you want. If you're really set on becoming a physician, It seems like that would be a better investment than potentially, best case scenario, going to go to a brand new DO school that may or may not have support systems in place to help you succeed.

The only reason I wanted to chime in is I had pretty similar stats with a 49x and 502 on the MCAT, and thought it was impossible to bring up. I bit the bullet, paid the money for a prep program and committed to it, and ended up with a 51x. First year med student now at at solid DO program with great support and would NOT have traded the extra gap year for the world. If you really wanna prove everyone here wrong, be honest with yourself if you're willing to do what it takes to do that!

People love to hate on the MCAT as a predictor of success in med school, but I personally think it's not so much about the score as a predictor, but the way you have to study to get that score as a predictor. The way I had to study to get 51x was vastly different than the way I studied for sub-500, and the way I studied for 51x pretty closely resembles how I have to study to succeed as a first year med student.

Reactions: 2 users
>501 gives you a lot more options. My MCAT track record is 492, 495, 502. I'm held back by a C- in General Chemistry 2 (and I was yesterday-years-old when I noticed that's a 1.7 GPA fml), so I'll be retaking that starting... April 5th, the earliest opening for UNE online GC2 4 credit course, and completing that ASAP so it will reflect in next cycle if worst comes to worst.
by the way, that MCAT jump was due to using Kaplan's newest book set, Sketchy MCAT, AAMC practice tests, and unemployed study time for 30 days to make the linkage program cutoff date and score (missed it by 2 points). imagine what you could do with a 90 days of studying

Last edited:
Was this your second attempt? If you've already invested a ton of money (and performed pretty well) in an SMP and the MCAT is the only thing that's holding you back, why not figure out a way to spend 6 months of full-time MCAT study and take it again? Your gonna spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical school, why not spend the money on an intense MCAT prep program, put in the work, and bring it up? I know it seems trite, but given your experience, It just seems like a pretty straightforward fix, especially if your first attempt was during your SMP and it seems like you only had 3 months of time between attempts. If you're sub 500, I personally think you need more than 3 months to bring that up. Go full steam at the MCAT for 6-10 months, get a solid score, and apply wherever you want. If you're really set on becoming a physician, It seems like that would be a better investment than potentially, best case scenario, going to go to a brand new DO school that may or may not have support systems in place to help you succeed.

The only reason I wanted to chime in is I had pretty similar stats with a 49x and 502 on the MCAT, and thought it was impossible to bring up. I bit the bullet, paid the money for a prep program and committed to it, and ended up with a 51x. First year med student now at at solid DO program with great support and would NOT have traded the extra gap year for the world. If you really wanna prove everyone here wrong, be honest with yourself if you're willing to do what it takes to do that!

People love to hate on the MCAT as a predictor of success in med school, but I personally think it's not so much about the score as a predictor, but the way you have to study to get that score as a predictor. The way I had to study to get 51x was vastly different than the way I studied for sub-500, and the way I studied for 51x pretty closely resembles how I have to study to succeed as a first year med student.
Would you be willing to share the prep program you used?

Would you be willing to share the prep program you used?
Yeah I did the full Blueprint program which at least at the time included all their Qbanks + Practice Tests + AAMC Banks + Practice Tests. Couldn't recommend it enough if you commit to it.

I welcome anyone who bets on themselves and goes against probability. Do the faculty at the SMP agree with your confidence? How will they support your application in your program institutional letter? Do they have a strong track record getting applicants with MCAT < 500 into any medical school? For your success, I expect you know the answers.

P.S. Avoid the schools that average your MCAT scores when screening your application.

If you are just putting your chips in for Heritage, then make sure they know. Listen carefully to what they want you to do.
@chilly_md

Just wanted to let you know that I did receive and interview invite at ou-hcom, my dream school. I am glad that I did not give up. @Mr.Smile12 thank you for the advice, I sent multiple letters stressing that and I think it was vital to receiving the interview. Thank you both for the motivation and advice.

• Love
@chilly_md

Just wanted to let you know that I did receive and interview invite at ou-hcom, my dream school. I am glad that I did not give up. @Mr.Smile12 thank you for the advice, I sent multiple letters stressing that and I think it was vital to receiving the interview. Thank you both for the motivation and advice.
You have the strongest chance there as you were part of a formal program with them. I wish you the best in your interview. It appears that they are interviewing for WL spots, hopefully they begin to offer students off of there very soon.