*Our* students so much more well-prepared clinically...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anotherpredent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at all schools I interviewed in, a student brought up the story of how graduates go to work in a residency or a dental office and realize how much better prepared they are clinically than graduates from other schools.

Did anyone hear a story about how that school's graduates had a sinking feeling as they realized how ill-prepared they are to practice?

I assume this is similar to everyone thinking they're an above average driver...

Members don't see this ad.

So at all schools I interviewed in, a student brought up the story of how graduates go to work in a residency or a dental office and realize how much better prepared they are clinically than graduates from other schools.

Did anyone hear a story about how that school's graduates had a sinking feeling as they realized how ill-prepared they are to practice?

I assume this is similar to everyone thinking they're an above average driver...

The gentleman who interviewed me at Nova (Dr. Zarr ~ spelling:confused::confused:) advised me, he said "one of the biggest dental mistakes I've made in my life is that I didn't do a 1-year GPR residency, it woulda made me a much better dentist"... I am guessing he graduated about 30 years back.

A dentist I shadowed went to UNLV and later found when he did his GPR that he only had a fraction of the experience that others had.

I know Baylor and some other schools go well beyond the clinical requirements of other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been shadowing a dentist for months now who graduated from Michigan a few years ago and she felt that she wasn't prepared clinically enough to directly practice as a general dentist. She advised me to think hard about the clinical aspects of schools if I only want to be a general dentist.

I heard from a dentist that graduated from Maryland, then came out to OHSU for a residency. He said he felt he was way behind clinically compared to the graduates that came directly from OHSU. (for whatever that's worth).

I should just study and worry about getting into school instead of thinking about this stuff, but...

Personally, I'm interested in general dentistry. I want the most training for my buck. So a big factor in selecting my schools is what specialty programs are also housed there. The preference is none. You've all heard the speech from various admissions - "Some schools you pull maybe 20 teeth. Here you do hundreds." Whatever. I'm not looking for stats to back it up. But on paper, it's logical that I'll get more experience in such an environment.

For some reason I feel like boards after year 1 are pretty awesome. It probably all balances out in the end either way if you do it after first or second year. But my brain is just convinced that it's awesome and that it's a transition to getting my hands dirty. Again, I know there is plenty of coursework still to go and that you do get some sim stuff early on at most schools anyway. Just my brain and gut being silly.

A good clinic with a bountiful patient pool is desired too. Will I be fighting for a chair? Will I be scraping around looking for patients? Are there external rotations? I know some of you cringe at ASDOH, but I know I'll get some serious experience out there. Clinics they rotate at seem pleased with the speed and independence of the D4s that come out and work there. That's not just from the mouth of the school or the quotations I've seen in PowerPoints. I've heard it from one of the clinic directors where I volunteer (one of their rotation sites). Hopefully a D4 will pick that location while I'm out there so I can check out the goods first-hand.

Anyway. Those are my random comments. I'm an AZ resident so I've been primarily exposed to the two schools here. I feel like both Midwestern and ASDOH are pretty great options that'll provide ample opportunity in both volume and quality and the facilities are pretty top-notch. (I know both programs differ drastically. I'm just talking about experience here.) I'm also not foolish enough to put my eggs in just these schools. So of course I'll apply elsewhere too and deal with what I'm offered. After all, the attitude and approach of the student is key in what you come out of your program with.