Out of Bed orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summerX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what other PTs do for out of bed orders. All the out of bed orders at the facility I work at get faxed to the PT department. Alot of them are inappropriate for PTs to be spending alot of their time with (I.E. Daily dependent transfers, out of bed for meals). So far I've been doing some, but it just doesn't seem right. I feel like I should be giving exercises and progressing patients more.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering what other PTs do for out of bed orders. All the out of bed orders at the facility I work at get faxed to the PT department. Alot of them are inappropriate for PTs to be spending alot of their time with (I.E. Daily dependent transfers, out of bed for meals). So far I've been doing some, but it just doesn't seem right. I feel like I should be giving exercises and progressing patients more.

I tell them diplomatically that we are not the transfer team. What are they going to do at 1am, call you at home? No, of course not. If all you are doing is a dependent transfer, it is not skilled and to bill for it is fraud. It may take some time to get this concept into their heads depending upon how long it has been going on, but it is fraud if it isn't skilled.