Out of School For a Few Years Now... What Are My Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RPISwimmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on applying to med school for 2013 and have no idea what to expect. I think my education/research/work experience should be alright, but have done only very limited volunteering and shadowing. I am interested in MD or MD-Ph.D programs and am thinking about oncology as a focus.

Stats:

Education
    • Undergrad Major: Chemical Engineering
    • Undergrad Minor: Biochemistry/Biophysics
    • Undergrad GPA: 4.0
    • MCAT: 39R
    • Pre-Reqs: I took most of the required classes but I think I need to take another semester of Organic Chemistry with Lab and some Bio classes. Also, I never took an English class in college, is that going to be a problem?
Work/Research
    • Current Job: Engineer in Process Development at Genentech. I have been published once and have presented posters and talks at national conferences.
    • Internships: Design Engineering Company for a Summer and Neuropharmacology Lab for another summer.
Extracurriculars/Volunteering
    • While in college I was a four-year member of the varsity swim team, student class president for two years, and member of several honor societies.
    • I have shadowed doctors at Genentech for approximately 20 total hours, but have never shadowed a practicing physician.
    • I have volunteered less than 20 total hours in a medical setting
What are my chances of getting into a top 25 school? Should I focus the limited amount of time I have left before applying by taking more classes, or beefing up my volunteering/shadowing experience?

Thanks so much, any advice is definitely appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I know nothing about chances or whatever, the only question I would see being asked (due to the fact you are applying 2013 and you've been out of school for a "few" years now) is when did you take your MCAT? Scores are only good for 3-4 years I believe. You may know this, but I just want to bring it to your attention.