out of school for a few years...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pwrpfgrl, Jul 20, 2002.

1. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member

So for those of you that have been out of school for a few years, what do you write on secondaries when they ask about your major "extracurricular" activity. should i write about what I did in college (before i realized I wanted to go into medicine) or what I do now? should I consider "curricular" to be my job (research) and "extracurricular" to be the volunteer work I do? it seems to make sense to do the latter - what do you all think?
    Thanks for the input!

:)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Laura JC

Resident [Any Field]
    I was out of college for 15 years, so I pared my responses down quite a bit. I picked one representative 'sample' of an EC in each type of area: leadership, volunteer, arts, medical etc..

4. lola

lola Bovine Member

I would consider your job to be curricular. I'm going to talk about playing varsity tennis as my major EC even though I graduated from college 5 years ago. This activity took far and away more time than any other activity. If, however, I hadn't played tennis, I probably would talk about a current or more recent EC such as volunteer work.

It really depends on your situation I'd say. If you do a lot of EC's now, I think it's best to pick one of those. If you were a lot more involved in EC's during college, you'd probably want to pick one of those.

When filling out AMCAS, I took a lot of college EC's out and ended up with 13 total. I only included those from college that were health/science related and tennis. Half of my EC's were recent research jobs and current volunteer work.

5. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist

Oh yeah, I also included stuff related to work that I volunteered for, but that really was completely outside my job requirements (like giving a talk for students & other teaching activities in my field--I wasn't faculty, so it's not what I got paid to do).

On AMCAS, I think my college EC's took up about 5 or 6 spots, and the rest were post-grad. On the whole it looked pretty well-balanced.

But I got one secondary that specifically asked me to separate my EC's in areas--jobs I held, leadership positions at jobs or elsewhere, research, and health-related volunteer experience, and non-health-related volunteer experience, and limited it to just the past 3 years. Well, for the past three years, I have no volunteer experience by their criteria, except the non-health-related thing I mentioned in my earlier post. It was all jobs and leadership... not even any research, so I look very lopsided. That's what I was talking about before.

6. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member

Thanks for the help everyone.
    I have a secondary that asks me to describe my one most time consuming EC. It seems like it wouldn't help my app to write about the almost full-time waitressing I did in college, even though that may help explain some of my grades.:rolleyes: on the other hand, i spend a lot less time volunteering than i did waitressing, although it's WAY more meaningful. I think i'm going to concentrate on the medically related stuff - that way i'm not apologizing for my grades and putting the empasis where it belongs.
    Thanks everyone for helping me work this out!!
    :)