1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

out of school for a few years...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pwrpfgrl, Jul 20, 2002.

1. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

So for those of you that have been out of school for a few years, what do you write on secondaries when they ask about your major "extracurricular" activity. should i write about what I did in college (before i realized I wanted to go into medicine) or what I do now? should I consider "curricular" to be my job (research) and "extracurricular" to be the volunteer work I do? it seems to make sense to do the latter - what do you all think?
    Thanks for the input!

:)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Laura JC

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was out of college for 15 years, so I pared my responses down quite a bit. I picked one representative 'sample' of an EC in each type of area: leadership, volunteer, arts, medical etc..

4. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

I would consider your job to be curricular. I'm going to talk about playing varsity tennis as my major EC even though I graduated from college 5 years ago. This activity took far and away more time than any other activity. If, however, I hadn't played tennis, I probably would talk about a current or more recent EC such as volunteer work.

It really depends on your situation I'd say. If you do a lot of EC's now, I think it's best to pick one of those. If you were a lot more involved in EC's during college, you'd probably want to pick one of those.

When filling out AMCAS, I took a lot of college EC's out and ended up with 13 total. I only included those from college that were health/science related and tennis. Half of my EC's were recent research jobs and current volunteer work.

5. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist 10+ Year Member

Oh yeah, I also included stuff related to work that I volunteered for, but that really was completely outside my job requirements (like giving a talk for students & other teaching activities in my field--I wasn't faculty, so it's not what I got paid to do).

On AMCAS, I think my college EC's took up about 5 or 6 spots, and the rest were post-grad. On the whole it looked pretty well-balanced.

But I got one secondary that specifically asked me to separate my EC's in areas--jobs I held, leadership positions at jobs or elsewhere, research, and health-related volunteer experience, and non-health-related volunteer experience, and limited it to just the past 3 years. Well, for the past three years, I have no volunteer experience by their criteria, except the non-health-related thing I mentioned in my earlier post. It was all jobs and leadership... not even any research, so I look very lopsided. That's what I was talking about before.

6. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the help everyone.
    I have a secondary that asks me to describe my one most time consuming EC. It seems like it wouldn't help my app to write about the almost full-time waitressing I did in college, even though that may help explain some of my grades.:rolleyes: on the other hand, i spend a lot less time volunteering than i did waitressing, although it's WAY more meaningful. I think i'm going to concentrate on the medically related stuff - that way i'm not apologizing for my grades and putting the empasis where it belongs.
    Thanks everyone for helping me work this out!!
    :)