Out of school for a while - changing careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluebird51

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been out of school for about 17 years. I'm looking to change careers and I am completely fascinated by epidemiology/biostatistics. For the past ten years, I've been working as a web developer/programmer and I've gained strong database skills. I'm in the process of researching MPH programs and believe my data skills would help me be successful in an epidemiology/biostatistics program. My undergrad GPA was not very good. But does GPA matter when someone has been out of school for this long? Should I search for a post bac program first?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been out of school for about 17 years. I'm looking to change careers and I am completely fascinated by epidemiology/biostatistics. For the past ten years, I've been working as a web developer/programmer and I've gained strong database skills. I'm in the process of researching MPH programs and believe my data skills would help me be successful in an epidemiology/biostatistics program. My undergrad GPA was not very good. But does GPA matter when someone has been out of school for this long? Should I search for a post bac program first?

You definitely do not need to do a post-bacc first. Do not spend your money on something like that. MPH programs tend to not weigh GPA very heavily, especially for people such as yourself who have been out of school for many years. What they are really going to be looking for is that you have some exposure to the public health field. Additionally, you're going to want to be able to articulate your desire to enter the field and what you plan to do with the degree (why you want an MPH after working in a different field for such a long time). Based on your background, it sounds like you definitely have the technical skills to enter the field.

Reactions: 1 user

I think your experience may be weighted more heavily than your undergraduate GPA, especially for epi/biostats programs. Be aware that these programs also tend to weight your quant GRE score more heavily, so prepare carefully for your GRE. With your experience, a strong quantitative GRE, and a compelling narrative about why you want to change careers, you're probably as well insulated from your undergraduate GPA as you possibly can be.

Take this with a grain of salt, of course--I have a PhD in another field and am trying to transition into epi/biostats myself, so we'll see how that goes. But I have been on selection committees in my own field and for more experienced and undergrad-distant applicants we have certainly weighted GRE scores more heavily than undergraduate performance. (I am aware of how unfair this may be--GRE scores are poor predictors of graduate performance beyond the first year. But it's also unfair to hold up a GPA from decades ago from one applicant next to the grade-inflation-influenced GPA of someone who just graduated.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate the input!

I was out of school seven years when I decided to change careers and I also went through a period where I thought I'd have to do a post-bacc. After talking to a lot of people in the field and in admissions, I came to the conclusion that it really isn't necessary.

As other people have mentioned, your GRE is going to be more heavily weighted, but there are other ways to improve your application. Getting involved in public health through your current career or through volunteering looks good and can help you narrow down your career goals, but its real benefit comes from the people you meet and the connections you build. You can learn a lot from these people and they can really help you when it comes time to get some letters of recommendation. Being able to make connections between your first career and the one you're shooting for will also help out. Finally, don't waste any time worrying that age or distance from undergrad will be a hindrance to you. The maturity and life experience you will bring to any MPH program is something that will count in your favor.

Good luck!

P.S.- Just wanted to let you know, I have a friend who did her undergrad in programming and she was able to get into Johns Hopkins when she decided to change careers and get her MPH.