Out of State Acceptance Rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toymoonhorse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything, and the VMCAS website didn't have exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a site or book that tells you the in and out of state acceptance rates for all the schools in the US as well as other information?

As a NJ resident, our state only has a couple seats at 3 schools so I'd like to try to find schools where I have a larger chance of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I did a search on this and couldn't find anything, and the VMCAS website didn't have exactly what I was looking for.

Is there a site or book that tells you the in and out of state acceptance rates for all the schools in the US as well as other information?

As a NJ resident, our state only has a couple seats at 3 schools so I'd like to try to find schools where I have a larger chance of getting in.

off the top of my head, kansas state, iowa state, ohio state, tufts, and minnesota have higher OOS acceptances.

Individual school's websites will generally tell you how many IS/OOS students they accept, though I'm sure people will have good stats for you here.

I was also an NJ resident, and every NJ vet I worked with told me the same thing: move. If you can, get residency in a different state, because as an NJ resident you are pretty much SOL. There are so few contract seats and so little funding for them that your chances are dismal, even as a great candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
If this helps:

Colorado State University (c/0 2013): 2.3% (32 non-WICHE OOS admitted, 1387 non-WICHE OOS applicants)
Iowa State University (c/o 2013): 6.5% (57 OOS/contract seats, 872 OOS/contract applicants)
Kansas State University (c/o 2012): 18.9% (174 OOS offered seats, 920 OOS applicants)*
Oklahoma State University (c/o 2013): 7.1% (~24, 336 OOS applicants)
University of Minnesota (c/o 2013): 4.6% (~40 OOS seats, 864 OOS applicants)
University of Missouri (c/o 2013): 7.7% (44 OOS acceptances, 569 OOS applicants)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (c/o 2012): 2.1% (~20 OOS seats, 942 OOS applicants)
Washington State University (c/o 2013): 3.2% (15 non-WICHE OOS admitted, 463 non-WICHE OOS applicants)

*I'm guessing this includes waitlisters? Or do they offer WAY more OOS positions than they have available?

Last edited:
You have to go and dig that information up yourself from the published statistics, most of the time. Make a spreadsheet or something. :laugh:

Western is another option - depends on how you feel about PBL but admissions is not affected by state residency.

Auburn University (c/o 2013): 2.3% (15 OOS acceptances, 647 OOS applicants)
UC Davis (c/o 2013): 1.0% (5 OOS acceptances, 490 OOS applicants)
Colorado State University (c/0 2013): 2.3% (32 non-WICHE OOS admitted, 1387 non-WICHE OOS applicants)
Cornell (c/o 2013): 5.2% (35 OOS acceptances, 667 OOS applicants)
University of Florida (c/o 2013): 1.4% (8 OOS acceptances, 573 OOS applicants)
University of Georgia (c/o 2013): 0.4% (1 OOS acceptances, 232 OOS applicants)
University of Illinois (c/o 2013): 5.1% (32 OOS acceptances, 626 OOS applicants)
Iowa State University (c/o 2013): 6.5% (57 OOS/contract seats, 872 OOS/contract applicants)
Kansas State University (c/o 2012): 18.9% (174 OOS offered seats, 920 OOS applicants)*
Louisiana State University (c/o 2013): 3.8% (20 OOS acceptances, 521 OOS applicants)
Michigan State University (c/o 2013): 5.7% (35 OOS acceptances, 617 OOS applicants)
University of Minnesota (c/o 2013): 4.6% (~40 OOS seats, 864 OOS applicants)
Mississippi State University (c/o 2013): 5.8% (40 OOS acceptances, 690 OOS applicants)
University of Missouri (c/o 2013): 7.7% (44 OOS acceptances, 569 OOS applicants)
North Carolina State University (c/o 2013): 5.4% (18 OOS acceptances, 335 OOS applicants)
The Ohio State University (c/o 2013): 6.2% (39 OOS acceptances, 625 OOS applicants)
Oklahoma State University (c/o 2013): 7.1% (~24, 336 OOS applicants)
Oregon State University (c/o 2013): 3.4% (10 OOS non-WICHE acceptances, 290 OOS applicants)
University of Pennsylvania (c/o 2013): 5.9% (71 OOS acceptances, 1205 OOS applicants)
Purdue University (c/o 2013): 5.3% (34 OOS acceptances, 642 OOS applicants)
University of Tennessee (c/o 2013): 5.5% (34 OOS acceptances, 613 OOS applicants)
Texas A&M University (c/o 2013): 10.6% (10 OOS acceptances, 94 OOS applicants)
VMRCVM (c/o 2013): 1.8% (10 OOS acceptances, 544 OOS applicants)
Washington State University (c/o 2013): 3.2% (15 non-WICHE OOS admitted, 463 non-WICHE OOS applicants)
Western (c/o 2013): 5.6% (26 OOS acceptances, 468 OOS applicants)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (c/o 2012): 2.1% (~20 OOS seats, 942 OOS applicants)

It came out of my veterinary medical school admission requirements book

It does say that the tuition for in state and out of state students are the same. It says that 71 IS students were accepted and 287 applied

Keep in mind most schools will offer more than the alloted number of OOS seats due to people being more likely to turn down offers than IS.

It came out of my veterinary medical school admission requirements book

It does say that the tuition for in state and out of state students are the same. It says that 71 IS students were accepted and 287 applied

Interesting. I wonder why there is such a large gap in numbers if they look at ISers and OOSere equally? Must have to do with OOSers preferring to go to their IS, but you would still think that there would be a smaller gap if they really do look at IS and OOS equally...:confused:

Yeah I know it's odd! Just quoting the book though

Yeah I know it's odd! Just quoting the book though

According to Western's site the numbers in the VMSAR are incorrect. The site says that there were 738 applications received, not 755.

Maybe others have it right, though, that people who live in CA were more likely to accept Western's offer, whereas applicants from other states go elsewhere.

That is one caveat to all of these stats - you can't really say that they are the acceptance stats because not all of the schools tend to publish how many out of state applicants were actually offered admission (ie how far down the waitlist did they go..).

On the list luplodw posted KSU appears to be the only one who did that. And there's quite a difference in their percentage because of it. ;)

I know at TN Dean Brace mentioned that on year they sent out over 50 OSS acceptance letters just to get 12 OSS that actually accepted.

They mentioned this years stats at the Wisconsin open house. 844 OOS applicants for 20 seats, giving 2.4% for the class of 2014.

Keep in mind most schools will offer more than the alloted number of OOS seats due to people being more likely to turn down offers than IS.

I was just going to say the same thing :)

Did they happen to give any indication when you were at the Open House, talking to anyone, when they started notifing OOS/IS waitlisters when there was any movement of those lists? It's just hard for those of us waiting....:oops: