1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

% Out of State Acceptance

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bgreet, May 6, 2004.

1. bgreet

bgreet Dopefish Lives!
    7+ Year Member

Apparently my first thread didnt work so here's attempt #2! :)

I'm just curious, if you went straight from the AAMC official guide, Medical School Admission Requirements, and looked at the number of out of state applicants, and then compared them to the out of state acceptances, the breakdown for each school is somewhere around 1-2.5%, and these arent even for the most competitive of schools! I mean do they include people with like horrible gpas and mcat scores in those that applied? These numbers seem absolutely ridiculous and really make me feel like there is no way I can be accepted, even when matching the average gpa and mcat scores for a given school. Someone out there please give me some reassurance!! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

First, the MSAR shows ENTRANTS, not acceptances. Many schools offer two to three times as many acceptances as they have entrants.

Second, there is a huge overlap in applicants. In other words, one person applies to multiple schools, so the candidate pool is actually smaller than is at first apparent.

Third, a lot of people with horrible stats do apply.

4. skyreaper

skyreaper Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm not sure if that number is right...I mean are you saying that only 2.5% of out-state-applicants are accepted? That sounds exceptionally strange. Public schools (especially in California) might do something like that but I'm not sure private med schools care if whether you're Out of state or in state...they might have SOME preferance but should not be too much of a factor like it would be for a public school. State tax payers are the one's that actually fund public schools and I think that's the reason they have a great preference for in state students. This was very much a guess :p I'm sure other very much knowledgable people will be posting replies...

5. bgreet

bgreet Dopefish Lives!
    7+ Year Member

I'm just taking it from their stats. Here are some physical examples: U Pitt # of Out of State Applicants: 3939 # Entrants: 84. Case Western # of out of state applicants: 4796 # of out of state entrants: 61 it goes on like this for different schools.

6. gaf

gaf Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't know about the percentages, but a lot of schools, even private ones, have a preference for applicants from the area. I think an earlier poster was right on. Why should my (state) tax dollars fund the education of a bunch of transients?

As for whether bad GPAs and MCATs are included in the stats - yes. Applicants are applicants, even if they are dreaming.

7. brodaiga

brodaiga Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm also using the MSAR as a reference. As stated before, they list the number of new entrants, so the number accepted is much higher. I think that the amount of out of state applicants interviwed is more signfigant, schools range from 0 to 25%. Most schools tend to be in the 12-18% interviewed of all out of state applicants. I would pick schools in that range along with other factors for going to that school, program, location, how your numbers match up to their average matriculating class..

Anyone agree?