Out-of-state APPEs - how to set up? any experiences? advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandaghost

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just finished my second year (entering my third year this August) at UF. I'm currently in a long-distance relationship and will likely eventually move to Los Angeles to be with my boyfriend. Due to both wanting to get experience in LA and wanting to be with my SO, I'm curious about out-of-state APPE rotations (our APPEs run May 2018 to May 2019 btw).

I spoke to my school today, and they basically told me that I won't have information about APPEs for a few months, there are some out of state (not sure where they will be, but I am guessing not in LA) and if I do want some out-of-state rotations, I need to set them up myself.

My questions are:
-Has anyone had experience setting up/completing out-of-state rotations?
-How do you go about doing this?
-What are the chances of getting an out-of-state rotation (in this fashion)?
-Any advice in general?

I am totally lost as to where to start and can use all the advice I can get.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Most important part of the process is to meet deadlines. Get started months in advance for both booking of sites and getting a intern license for the state

-Start by contacting the intern coordinator or DOP.
-In my experience community pharmacy was a seamless process. Chains are contacted by the school. Indies by yourself.
-Some schools might have a limit of how many rotations and which type can done out of state.
-My school required the sites to sign a contract/agreement. Ask your school which paper paperwork is required of you and the site in advance.

Is there a way to check student rotations from past years? I did a rotation out of state at a site that had previously had students from my school. It was much easier to set up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I just finished my second year (entering my third year this August) at UF. I'm currently in a long-distance relationship and will likely eventually move to Los Angeles to be with my boyfriend. Due to both wanting to get experience in LA and wanting to be with my SO, I'm curious about out-of-state APPE rotations (our APPEs run May 2018 to May 2019 btw).

I spoke to my school today, and they basically told me that I won't have information about APPEs for a few months, there are some out of state (not sure where they will be, but I am guessing not in LA) and if I do want some out-of-state rotations, I need to set them up myself.

My questions are:
-Has anyone had experience setting up/completing out-of-state rotations?
-How do you go about doing this?
-What are the chances of getting an out-of-state rotation (in this fashion)?
-Any advice in general?

I am totally lost as to where to start and can use all the advice I can get.

Thank you so much!
Did you have luck? I am also looking to do the same, either Southern California or South Florida because that is where I want to work post grad

sounds like your school wants you to set them all up yourself. Ask them what their requirements are, meaning types of rotations: medicine, ambulatory care, outpatient etc. If they can actually try to put you in touch with alumni who would be able to help that would help. Schools usually have preceptor contracts that need to be signed. All schools vary in requirements for sites etc... Good luck cause you will need it, we have 15 schools in CA nowadays, not to mentions Roseman (From Nevada) that has sites in Socal. Good news is that there are many outpatient pharmacies that you can proly find who will take you in as free labor.