Out-of-state applicants to Texas dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliciaworking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I searched many times but haven't found a recent thread for this; so let's start one that might be helpful to some applicants.

I know that TX schools only accept very few out-of-state (oos) applicants, but some of us are trying for those few competitive spots that they may open for oos. Plus there is some solid confirmation that Baylor and San Antonio had a few more seats for oos than Houston did.

Like many of you, I'd like to know my chances before throwing in my money and time.
Any dental students out there: If you know UT Houston thru your own experience or thru close acquaintances, please help by giving info and/or recommendations:
HOW MANY oos has Houston accepted over the last few years? and what's their criteria for accepting oos?? For example, family bond in Texas, or DAT over 26??

Thanks so very much!!

-Alicia

Members don't see this ad.

I know that TX schools only accept very few out-of-state (oos) applicants, but some of us are trying for those few competitive spots that they may open for oos. Plus there is some solid confirmation that Baylor and San Antonio had a few more seats for oos than Houston did.Thanks so very much!!

-Alicia
Think of it as your contribution to the economic stimulus package.

Last edited:
Ur chances: slim to none.

The cost: $150

You'll save $200k in tuition if you get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife talked me into throwing an application in to San Antonio when I applied. I submitted the AADSAS application around Sept 1 or so. Wasn't expecting to hear back from them. And then................I received an interview :) I was not accepted but you never know. My stats are not crazy good or anything :thumbup:

Thanks for the encouragement;
but I'm looking for solid info about exactly how many Houston did accept and what criteria was used - except for that one year obviously there was none OOS. Almost everyone knows the general "slimness"; but there are 10+ seats at Baylor and similar # for SA, so I'm wondering about the average # for Houston, and what they care about.

Thanks!

but I'm looking for solid info about exactly how many Houston did accept and what criteria was used - except for that one year obviously there was none OOS. Almost everyone knows the general "slimness"; but there are 10+ seats at Baylor and similar # for SA, so I'm wondering about the average # for Houston, and what they care about.

Thanks!

I think you're best bet it to call them directly and ask :) But statistically, Houston accepts O out-of-state applicants. Good luck :)

Buy the 2011 ADEA guide to dental schools. The 2010 book said they had some (couple hundred) oos applicants but zero oos interviews.

Thanks!

Firstly, they look for DAT/GPA stats obviously. However, they usually dismiss you unless you have some kind of tie to Texas in some way or another. If you don't have any kind of ties to Texas, I'm not sure I'd look into it to much further. I do have a friend as a D1 there who says there are a handful of OOS's there this year.

If you do have a connection to Texas, I believe Houston puts a lot of emphasis on your essays and interview. More so than any other school is what I've heard as there are applicants who've had 16's or 17's on the DAT, but were caring people with good people skills. I can't say much for SA or Baylor.

A thing to remember about Texas is they have enough applicants in their own state to fill their seats easily. There has to be a good reason for them to take an OOS who may not end up practicing in Texas over a resident. I went to a dental internship at Houston, and I'm hoping dearly to hear from them soon for an interview, but we'll see in good time. GL with everything!