Out of State Applying for Texas Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orange_elephants

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a TN resident and I know that Texas med schools have separate applications. Do Texas schools primarily accept in state students? As in if I have a competitive application, is it worth also applying to Texas schools and having to fill out the separate application?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a TN resident and I know that Texas med schools have separate applications. Do Texas schools primarily accept in state students? As in if I have a competitive application, is it worth also applying to Texas schools and having to fill out the separate application?
By state law, they can only accept up to 10% OOS. Many are pretty large so 10% can be around 20 students. I applied as OOS and got 2 interviews in Texas, if I went back I would do it again.

Reactions: 3 users
It's worth it. If you get in and are able to become a Texas resident, some schools will decrease your tuition cost to resident, which is extremely cheap compared to other schools. A couple also give out enough scholarships to make up for the difference of OOS and IS. It's great if you can make the 10%.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Texas schools like big numbers for OOS students. If you are 3.8+/33+/513+ I would say you have a shot. Baylor is your best bet (they are private so by state law only 75% have to be in state) but you will want to be 3.8/35/515+ for BCOM to be really competitive.

Of course you can apply with less if you really want to come to Texas, the TMDSAS app is considerably cheaper than AMCAS when applying to many schools.

I didn't realize Baylor had a minimum in-state percentage. Are they dependent on the state of Texas for funds?

Out of state student considering applying to Texas schools as well. I've been encouraged by many not to even bother with it due to how few OOS they accept. If I've got a 3.9+ and 522 do y'all think I should try for Texas schools or save my money for other schools that I would have a better chance at?

Out of state student considering applying to Texas schools as well. I've been encouraged by many not to even bother with it due to how few OOS they accept. If I've got a 3.9+ and 522 do y'all think I should try for Texas schools or save my money for other schools that I would have a better chance at?

Assuming you have good ECs and all that, I'd say take the opportunity and apply to Texas schools - if you use TMDSAS you can apply to a majority of the medical schools in Texas (exception of Baylor, UIW) for $150 (flat-fee) primary application, so I'd say it's a pretty good investment.

You got a great shot in Texas if you have decent / good EC's

Awesome, I feel like my ECs are decent, but not spectacular. Would love to go to a Texas school, primarily UTSW, so I'm hoping my stats can help despite being OOS.

if you got about an extra 200 dollars to spend go ahead! But you have to have pretty high stats.

if you got about an extra 200 dollars to spend go ahead! But you have to have pretty high stats.
I don't think stats are going to be an issue for someone with ~80 LM.

Great numbers - Congratulations!
If I were an AdCom member at a TX medical school (I'm not) and had 20 OOS spots to fill, I'd look for the very best students I could find that would bring something new and different to my class AND boost my school's average numbers. If low cost and 'great value' (quality relative to price) are things you're looking for, then TX medical schools are hard to beat.

Thank you all for the input. This makes me feel a little more optimistic about Texas schools. Probably going to do a TMDAS application since its not as expensive as I thought.

Applicants from BYU and Duke seem to be very well represented for some reason; there were always several at nearly every TX school's interview :eek:

Does applying early matter for out of state applicants? Wouldn't adcoms just consider in state residents until they fill 90% of their class, then start looking at out of state candidates?

Does applying early matter for out of state applicants? Wouldn't adcoms just consider in state residents until they fill 90% of their class, then start looking at out of state candidates?
Yes it most definitely matters

I didn't realize Baylor had a minimum in-state percentage. Are they dependent on the state of Texas for funds?

Yes, they're almost sort-of a public med.

Unless you have something special to offer a Texas med, (high stats, URM status), your app may be a waste. An OOS friend of mine did snag 3 IIs, but she had a MCAT 36 (518) and 4.0. She's now attending one of the UT meds.

My gut tells me that public meds accepts OOS students who HELP in a way that their instate students aren't sufficient. A high MCAT OOS student helps balance the lower MCAT from an acceptable instate. An OOS URM with good stats helps the SOM's diversity numbers. The average good, but OOS, unhooked candidate really offers nothing that an instate student can't provide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users