Out of state? avoid Kentucky

RaulUKCD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Full disclaimer, I am a practicing dentist and a UKCD alum.

First, if you are not from Kentucky and not in the minority, do NOT apply! The trend used to be to accept white females from out of state. When I left, only 2 of the 15 out of state students were white males. I returned recently, and the new director of student affairs was bragging how "she" admitted about 10 of 15 out of state student who are in the minority.

Second, the administration has become increasingly female dominant. What that means to you men who are accepted, is keep your nose squeaky clean. If there is a rule on the books (even if it is not enforced), you need to obey it. Example, my classmate was chewed out for wearing mostly white sneakers into clinic. The rules say, "all" white. A female student wore some vibrant colored shoes and this same administrator didn't say a word to her.

Lastly, the system is broken and has been broken for so long that people have stopped trying to even patch it. If you are debating UK or somewhere else, chose that somewhere else. UK is a good undergraduate university and awesome at basketball. However, the techniques being taught at the college of dentistry are old, outdated, and leave you well behind your peers at other institutions.

Don't let the low GPA and DAT scores fool you. Out of state students need about a 3.8 and at least a 20+ DAT score. These high numbers off set AA for in state students.

Dr. R.T.

Members don't see this ad.

First, if you are not from Kentucky and not in the minority, do NOT apply! The trend used to be to accept white females from out of state. When I left, only 2 of the 15 out of state students were white males. I returned recently, and the new director of student affairs was bragging how "she" admitted about 10 of 15 out of state student who are in the minority.

Second, the administration has become increasingly female dominant. What that means to you men who are accepted, is keep your nose squeaky clean. If there is a rule on the books (even if it is not enforced), you need to obey it. Example, my classmate was chewed out for wearing mostly white sneakers into clinic. The rules say, "all" white. A female student wore some vibrant colored shoes and this same administrator didn't say a word to her.

Lastly, the system is broken and has been broken for so long that people have stopped trying to even patch it. If you are debating UK or somewhere else, chose that somewhere else. UK is a good undergraduate university and awesome at basketball. However, the techniques being taught at the college of dentistry are old, outdated, and leave you well behind your peers at other institutions.

Don't let the low GPA and DAT scores fool you. Out of state students need about a 3.8 and at least a 20+ DAT score. These high numbers off set AA for in state students.

Dr. R.T.

Sounds like you're on the waitlist. You sure you're a UK grad?

Dr. R.T.

I am a current student at UK and the women thing is true, the out of date techniques and learning is not. The only dress code is no opened toed shoes, no shorts, and no jeans in clinic. The administration portion of the school was better when Kim B was here running things and now has gone south with the women power and favoritism going around. The new entering classes (mostly women) have lower GPA's and DAT scores which = lower class scores, and they are better looking women, which is great news for the guys or the girls who play for the guy team. I have no problem if the new classes were 100% women/minorities if they are qualified, but if they are getting in on their looks or because the dean request more minorities, then I do have a problem.
The out of state tuition is high, and the scholarships go to the women in the class. The important dental stuff is still running well, like Oral Path, Dr Okeson Oral facial pain, clinic, OMFS, Perio, Ortho, Pros and diagnosing.

All in all, it is a good school