out of state board exam???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweet Luck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:Hi, I'm a predent, but just want to know if I get accepted out of state and end up having to go, would it be difficult to come back to my own state to practice after dental school. What I'm trying to ask is if there is a board exam that one would have to take to practice in another state?

Members don't see this ad.

http://ada.org/prof/ed/students/handbook/index.asp

click on the PDF file, it should tell you what states and schools require which exam: I also copy and pasted the info from the site...hope this helps...it cleared things up for me!

STATE/REGION FEES TESTING LOCATION FREQUENCY
CITA 1400 Dental Schools: Contact CITA
www.citaexam.com Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi,
North Carolina, Puerto Rico
CRDTS 1400 Dental Schools: February, March, April, June, November
www.crdts.org Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Creighton,
Nebraska, Marquette, Southern Illinois, Georgia,
South Carolina, Hawaii
NERB 1400 Dental Schools: April, May, August, December (7X/year)
www.nerb.org Boston, Buffalo, Case Western, Columbia, Connecticut,
Detroit, Harvard, Howard, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland,
Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania,
Pittsburgh, SUNY-Stony Brook, Temple, Tufts, Virginia,
West Virginia
SRTA Contact SRTA Dental Schools: March, April, May, June
www.srta.org Louisville, Virginia, Kentucky, Meharry, South Carolina, (Dates for latter part of year to be
Tennessee, West Virginia announced on Web site)
WREB $1,475 - $1,725 Dental Schools: March, April, May/June, September,
www.wreb.org Case Western, Colorado, Virginia, Pacific, Loma Linda, December
Oregon, Baylor, San Antonio, Houston, Oklahoma,
Washington, USC, Kentucky, Nova Southeastern,
Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Temple, Louisville, Arizona,
New York, Indiana, Nevada, Southern Illinois, UCSF
California $606 Rotates between Los Angeles, San Francisco, March, May, June, Sept/Oct. (5X/year)
Loma Linda, Pacific, USC
Delaware $300 - $400 Temple University/Philadelphia January, June
Florida $1195 University of Florida and Nova Southeastern June, August, December, March
Nevada $1200 UNLV January, July
U.S. Virgin Islands $65 St. Thomas June, November
Preparing for the Exam—Location & Expense
Preparing for your state clinical licensing exam needs careful planning. Allowing enough time for the application process and
patient selection is imperative. Plus, exam fees and liability insurance can be costly, and for those who need to travel to the
exam, travel costs for both the candidate and the patients (who may also be paid) need to be considered. Below is an outline
of the various clinical licensing examinations with cost and travel implications.
ADEX and ADLEX
In 2005, the American Board of Dental Examiners (ADEX) was established. ADEX consists of state and U.S. territory licensing
jurisdictions which are responsible for the ongoing development of the American Dental Licensing Examinations (ADLEX). The
ADLEX is available for use by the individual state and regional testing agencies on behalf of their member states. Currently, the
CRDTS and the NERB administer the ADLEX, while CITA, SRTA and WREB administer their own examinations. It is hoped that
ultimately all licensing authorities will accept the examination results from all state and regional testing agencies.
*Pre-graduation exams
COUNCIL OF INTERSTATE TESTING AGENCIES
www.citaexam.com
Alabama
Louisiana
Mississippi
North Carolina
Puerto Rico
CENTRAL REGIONAL DENTAL TESTING
SERVICES, INC. (CRDTS, ADLEX)
www.crdts.org
Colorado
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois1
Iowa
Kansas
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
North Dakota
South Dakota
Washington2
Wisconsin
Wyoming3
NORTH EAST REGIONAL BOARD OF DENTAL
EXAMINERS, INC. (NERB, ADLEX)
www.nerb.org
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Indiana
Illinois1
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont
West Virginia4
SOUTHERN REGIONAL
TESTING AGENCY, INC. (SRTA)
Arkansas
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
West Virginia4
WESTERN REGIONAL
EXAMINING BOARD (WREB)
www. wreb.org
Alaska
Arizona
California6
Idaho
Montana
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Oregon
Texas
Utah
Washington
Wyoming3
INDEPENDENT STATES THAT
ADMINISTER THEIR OWN CLINICAL
LICENSING EXAMINATIONS
Delaware
Florida7
Nevada5
Virgin Islands
Clinical Testing Agency Membership
INFORMATION FOR THE NEW GRADUATE
The CIF process begins in the fall, when candidates take simulated
(manikin) clinical examinations. Due to the timing of this integrated
testing, students often have three more opportunities to pass before
graduation. Additionally, there's the possibility of remediation for
those students who don't pass, while still in school.
Feedback has been positive, with students citing that they are more
relaxed and generally more prepared because of the timeframe.
Students can be eligible for licensure by the time of graduation,
which means that they can begin planning their transition out
of dental school several weeks earlier than those whose exams
are near graduation and have to wait eight weeks for scores.
As of fall 2006, all schools in CRDTS and NERB states were
participating in the Curriculum Integrated Format.
Curriculum Integrated Format
Examinations are currently administered in a Traditional Format and the Curriculum Integrated Format (CIF). The Traditional
Format is administered to candidates who have either graduated, or are within forty-five days of graduation for dental school.
All four parts of the examination are administered within a few days under the Traditional Format. The Curriculum Integrated
Format is administered to senior dental students of record beginning with the simulated examinations early in the senior year
and the Restorative and Periodontal examinations early in the second semester of the senior year. It allows dental students to
take their examinations in sections spread out across their last year of dental school, instead of taking all four parts(usually
during the same week) at the very end of senior year. Candidate scores are reported to their dental school administration for
the purpose of student remediation. Students are permitted to take the simulated patient examinations three times and the
patient-based examinations twice prior to the graduation.
The information provided in this chart is subject to change frequently. This information is accurate as of September 2006. For the most up to date information, please contact your state board
(contact information included in this guide.)
NOTE: Virginia does not belong to any particular testing agency, but accepts results from CRDTS, NERB, SRTA and WREB.
1 Illinois is a member of both CRDTS and NERB. 2Washington is a member of WREB. Only the dental examination falls under CRDTS. 3Wyoming is a member of both CRDTS and WREB.
4West Virginia is a member of both NERB and SRTA. 5Nevada also accepts results of the WREB examination. 6California administers its own examination and has joined WREB. Legislation
to join WREB addresses only the dental examination, not the dental hygiene examination. 7Florida has legislation pending to utilize the ADLEX.

Members don't see this ad :)
:confused:Hi, I'm a predent, but just want to know if I get accepted out of state and end up having to go, would it be difficult to come back to my own state to practice after dental school. What I'm trying to ask is if there is a board exam that one would have to take to practice in another state?
Short answer: except for a couple of states (two, I think), you can get a license to practice anywhere in the country by taking one of two licensing exams (NERB and/or WREB).

I would not stress about getting licensed for you just yet, work hard stay focused and get into dental school first.

As far as practicing as a licensed dentist, it should not be a problem as long as you know where you want to go, which may change while in dental school, and work towards that state's licensure exam.

I would not stress about getting licensed for you just yet, work hard stay focused and get into dental school first.

As far as practicing as a licensed dentist, it should not be a problem as long as you know where you want to go, which may change while in dental school, and work towards that state's licensure exam.

:thumbup: