Out of State dental schools to apply to...PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a resident in Texas and I am trying to find the best out of state schools to apply to that correspond with my scores. I would really appreciate any and all help! My GPA is good but my dat scores weren't so great at all. Does anyone know where the best places would be to apply to? My application overall is pretty good with community service and shadowing. I would really appreciate any help! (if it matters, I fall under the "asian" category)

DAT: GPA: 3.91 overall and 3.83 science

AA: 18
Science: 18
Bio: 18
GC: 20
OC: 17
PAT: 16
RC:16
QR: 17

These are some schools that I have looked into but not sure which ones would be best:

Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)

Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Arizona (MWU)

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine School of Dental Medicine (LECOM-FL)

Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois (MWU-IL)

University of Louisville School of Dentistry (UL)

University of New England College of Dental Medicine (UNE)

Missouri School of Dentistry & Oral Health (MOSDOH)

Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE)

West Virginia University School of Dentistry (WVA)

Members don't see this ad.

your TS and AA aren't bad, but those scores below 17~18 might hurt you a little.
You will have higher chances are private schools because they have lower stats.
Such schools will be NYU, Boston, Temple, Tufts.
I would also read this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...at-are-my-chances-read-if-this-is-you.635046/
to see which OOS friendly schools fit your situation the best.

How about giving DAT a second try? I think you have too many sections that are 16~17, and AA and Ts is just average or slightly below

but on a second thought, your stellar GPA might make up for the low-ish DAT scores..
It's really up to you, but if I were you, I'd feel a little insecure and sign up for another DAT date as soon as possible.

Ugh...I know my score lacks in certain subjects, but I just won't be able to study for it again during the semester. So I can either attempt to apply with this score and study for my dat again if I don't get accepted. NYU I chose to stay away from because there DAT scores from last year's accepted applicants averaged around a 20...so I figured it would be pointless. I think the same with the other schools. What do you think? and what do you think of the schools I have listed? Thank you so much

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh...I know my score lacks in certain subjects, but I just won't be able to study for it again during the semester. So I can either attempt to apply with this score and study for my dat again if I don't get accepted. NYU I chose to stay away from because there DAT scores from last year's accepted applicants averaged around a 20...so I figured it would be pointless. I think the same with the other schools. What do you think? and what do you think of the schools I have listed? Thank you so much

check out the thread I posted previously, it helped me when I didn't know what to do with school list. Also, get the ADEA guide for $10.
I know people say it almost everyday it almost feels meaningless, but ADEA guide at least can give you some directions as far as the tutition, OOS friendliless, minority friendliness, etc, etc.

if you don't want to buy it, you can also follow "doc toothache"' thread. He posts some pretty cool stuff.

As far as your list goes, I think most of them out good, but west virginia can be removed unless you are from WV or have connection to WV in some way. They not out OOS friendly.
Also, don't just refrain from applying to a certain school because of one section of a test. PAT is one section of DAT, which in turn is a small section of the whole application package.

People apply broadly and to their reach schools all the time and sometimes have better results at reach schools.

If I were you, or if it's possible, I'd sign up for the DAT and study as much as you can. If you feel ready by the test date, take it.
If not, do not take it and just proceed with the application. But then again, by the time you have your DAT, it will be very late in the cycle, so nothing will be guaranteed.

If I were you, I'd study for the DAT just in case you don't get in this cycle, but don't take it just to retake it. Use all the resources to get at least 20's across the board.