Out of State for CA

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by laundry, May 11, 2007.

1. laundry

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Alright

I'm an Oklahoma resident with a 4.0 GPA and a CV to die for (grants, awards, research, etc). What's my chances of getting into UCLA or USC if I have a good DAT score?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    usc isn't a problem bc its private...you can come from anywhere

ucla is a little harder since its public, but with those stats you should be good. i honestly dont know how they pick out of state applicants though. seems like luck of the draw

4. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Honestly, Los Angeles sucks. No other way to say it. Really does. I don't even like industrial/metal but you ever hear that grammy winning song "Ænima" before? It's all about Los Angeles, and if you've spent more than 1 week there knows how badly LA sucks, and it really sums things up suciently. Here is a link to the lyrics along with an explanation to the song, and a link to the video (the video itself is weird, but you can listen to the song for free). You don't even need to like this type of music to appreciate how sucinctly and intelligently put together this song is.

Seriously man, I know you're from Oklahoma and want to move to the west coast, but we get so many people like you who really have no idea what Los Angeles is really like. The traffic here is just the tip of the iceburg. San Diego is awesome, San Francisco is great, but Los Angeles really sucks. Apply to UCSF and UOP instead.

5. tooth decay

tooth decay science officer
    2+ Year Member

I suggest that during your interview, you should be a little bit more humble when describing your CV.

6. keibee82

keibee82 Blue_tooth...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I live close to LA right now and for the last ten years.
    I think LA is one of THE WORST city in US. Traffic is hell, people are rude (not all of them of course), VERY good chance of getting a skin cancer, no snow, little rain, sunny all throughout the year (this can be good or bad), pollution, outrageous house price and gas price. Of course some of these apply to other cities in CA too but LA is by far the worst!!

7. pacbum

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    LA really isn't that bad people! true i like the feel of more european style cities, like one's on the east coast, and sf, but la is soo unique compared to other cities. it has soo many different areas, just a little more spread out than other cities. traffic is bad, but so is traffic in nyc, and every other metropolitan city, the difference is that we don't really have a popular public transportation system since its more spread out.

but there are tons of great things in la. its a very diverse city. every city has the good and the bad people, i think la is just like everywhere else. and while cities like nyc may be great cities to visit, la is a much better city to live in. and no one can complain about the weather in california...year around it is wonderful. trust me, there's a lot to see and explore in LA, just have to be a little open minded.

8. Pilot Mike

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    hahhahahah! oh wow! You could spend a year in LA and still find new things to do and never get bored. I've spent the last 10 years of my life traveling to almost every city in the US, trust me there's plenty of places that make LA look like paradise. LA can be one of the best places to live if you know what to do out here.

9. keibee82

keibee82 Blue_tooth...
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea I definitely understand what you guys are saying. It is very true that the night life in LA is great and weather is awesome. But I am really sick of it now. People from east coast can really appreciate the weather in LA, but if you live in LA long enough...piff.. give me some rain and snow. I want to see something change here. You know, like spring, summer, fall, WINTER. :mad:

oh btw, its just the city i don't like. I love UCLA and LLU. not USC tho...

10. cyclonesurfer

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

I hear Buffalo, Cleveland, Omaha, and Lincoln are great places too!

11. afrosheen

afrosheen Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

UCLA would be hard to get into because they take a lot of CA residents, and since there's so many of us, it leads to 20 plus on all parts of the DAT. honestly, if you don't get that, i'm pretty sure its bleak for an out of stater

12. tooth decay

tooth decay science officer
    2+ Year Member

Why the unprovoked sarcasm against these cities?

13. lemoncurry

lemoncurry tequila mockingbird
    Administrator Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    to the OP, sounds like you would be an ideal candidate for your own state school. why are you not applying there? considering how much they favor in-state applicants, if your stats are as good as you claim, you shouldn't worry.

14. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

As per my original point, take a look at these two posts, written by born-and-raised Los Angeles residents:

http://messageboard.tuckermax.com/showthread.php?t=4007#8

http://messageboard.tuckermax.com/showthread.php?t=4007&page=2#16

Take into account, these are well written, intelligent people. The reasons are real, and honest, THAT IS JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBURG. LOS ANGELES SUCKS. The people suck, the traffic sucks, the pollution sucks, the cost of living sucks. It's a horrible city. Do yourself a favor. Check out that Ænima song lyrics, and read those two threads links I just provided. If you still don't believe me, get an internship there for the summer and live there for three months.

Read those two links and, my last words on this subject: caveat emptor.

15. laundry

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    First of, I'm gonna chose the school by more than the lyrics to a song...:D

The thing is that OU has about, oh, zero, research for DDS. I want to do research and get a DDS/PhD. So, I looked into CA schools as ONE of the options...And Oklahoma isn't paradise either - too hot in summer, wierd in winter, tornados in spring, and I'm yet to see a fall (goes from 98 to 20 in 2 days). Plus there is nothing to do here, and I live in Edmond, which is the equivalent of Beverly Hills in Oklahoma...and still, nothing but utter boredom.:sleep:

16. jeninny44

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree about not choosing a school on the basis of a song. I suggested that song though, as it very accurately describes Los Angeles.

I found another link to someone who knows Los Angeles well enough to describe it: http://messageboard.tuckermax.com/showthread.php?t=4007&page=2#19

You obviously have never spent time in San Fran or Los Angeles, as if you did you would be applying to UOP and UCSF. At the end of the day, I wish you luck with your application. Just know I had the option of attending both UCLA (which is a very good school) and USC but turned them both down. I couldn't stand living in LA for 4 years.

17. laundry

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Thanks for all the input Jen,

I've actually been to both of those places repeatedly, and I agree, SF is much much much prettier and much closer to my heart. However, I have a lot of family in LA. But first thing's first, I gotta get accepted there.:rolleyes: