Out of state licensing Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satori47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question on licensing.

I'm currently licensed in CA and am about to finish residency.
If I want to take a job in another state, do I need to apply for that state's license as well?

If I do, do I need to receive the license before my start date? Would that abolish my current CA license or would I be multi-state-licensed?

How about the DEA? I suppose that one is usable thruout the country right?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question on licensing.

I'm currently licensed in CA and am about to finish residency.
If I want to take a job in another state, do I need to apply for that state's license as well?

If I do, do I need to receive the license before my start date? Would that abolish my current CA license or would I be multi-state-licensed?

How about the DEA? I suppose that one is usable thruout the country right?

thanks.

Yes, you will need a license in the state you practice in, prior to starting work. It's totally kosher (and halal as well) to be licensed in multiple states. Your DEA number is good wherever you go but you MUST update them about your change in address ASAP or they'll go all narc on you.

gutonc is correct.

You can be licensed in multiple states; I have 3 medical licenses.

You cannot start working until you have a medical license in your new state; your California license will not work in the other state. Thus, it behooves all residents and fellows to think about this far in advance. If you are an FMG or have any problems on your application, it can take months to get that license.

Your DEA is good in any state.

FYI: never relenquish or let a state license expire unless you can never imagine a situation in which you would return to that state. Change your California license status to INACTIVE or just keep it active; if you ever move back, it will be a lot easier to get the license back than starting over from scratch (which you will have to do if you let it expire).

excellent question why would you need multiple medical licenses to practice in different states when you already have one. You dont have 4 driver licenses to drive in four states. You just drive there and if you are gonna stay a while you get a license in that state. Stupid huh? and every state asks you the same exact questions. its the most idiotic system. If I live in cincinatti 1 mile away from kentucky, Icannot go 1 mile into kentucky to practice without spending 1000 dollars and 6months of paperwork answering the same questions over and over.

________

a little FYI on the DEA number.

You can either

A) Transfer you current DEA number to the new state where you plan to get a license/job with an address update and you will be fine.

or

B) Get a new number if your plans are to practice/moonlight in both/different states.

Different DEA numbers are required for each state that you have active practice/license/privileges where you plan to prescribe controlled substances. I'm currently dealing with this process and verified this with the DEA this week.

In addition, some state pharmacy boards (i.e Nevada) issue their own license to physicians (go figure), after they get the DEA number+State Medical License before they can prescribe narcotics.

Nothing but administrative parasitic nonsense.

Last edited:
In addition, some state pharmacy boards (i.e Nevada) issue their own license to physicians (go figure), after they get the DEA number+State Medical License before they can prescribe narcotics.

Yeah, it's a $$$ thing. Not going away.

An alternative to keeping all licenses is to keep the first license you ever got (that wasn't a training license, of course) forever, and the current one which you are using. There is a good reason for it (although, at this post-hungover moment I don't recall), and MUCH cheaper than a few thousand dollars every couple years.

An alternative to keeping all licenses is to keep the first license you ever got (that wasn't a training license, of course) forever, and the current one which you are using. There is a good reason for it (although, at this post-hungover moment I don't recall), and MUCH cheaper than a few thousand dollars every couple years.

If you place a license on inactive status, you don't pay anything unless you want to reactivate that. I think that is a much better plan than letting a license expire which will cost you more in terms of paperwork and headache than the couple of questions you fill out for inactive status. You can always keep licenses active but it will cost you.

________

a little FYI on the DEA number.

You can either

A) Transfer you current DEA number to the new state where you plan to get a license/job with an address update and you will be fine.

or

B) Get a new number if your plans are to practice/moonlight in both/different states.

Different DEA numbers are required for each state that you have active practice/license/privileges where you plan to prescribe controlled substances. I'm currently dealing with this process and verified this with the DEA this week.

As if to give additional creedence to Jattdoc's post Michael Jackson's doctor is now in even more trouble because he didn't have a DEA for CA. He shouldn't have been prescribing scheduled drugs in CA because he only had current DEAs in NV and TX.

Here's a link to the story:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,530242,00.html

OMG Thank you for bringing home with a MJ link.

I tried to help my patients understand that my hospital didn't have a test of Claritin levels in the blood (one of many reasons I couldn't help determine if the patient's caregiver was trying to poison her or not) the other day, and I tried to use an MJ story (you know, they say it will take 6 weeks to get those tests back?) and it fell flat. I don't think my patients knew who MJ was or that he died.