Out of State medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from Illinois and I'll be applying to all of my state schools next year. I'm wondering which out-of-state schools you folks would recommend? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't aware that any of the Virginia schools took many out-of-staters. Now I know..thank you. Are you at UofV or VCU?

Peace

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU. The president of the university has made an effort to get rid of the old MCV name. He is trying to increase the prestige of VCU by changing the name of the med school. Everyone in my class hates it. But, nothing we can do.

EVMS takes lots as well. I don't know about UVA.

[This message has been edited by GreatPumpkin (edited April 22, 2001).]

EVMS also takes a lot of out of staters as do any of the big private schools - GW, Georgetown, Hopkins, NYMC, Vandy, BU, Tufts, Tulane,etc. Its difficult to recommend any without knowing how competitive you are. Essentially anything without "University of X state" is fair game.

A peek at the MSAR will tell you what percentage of admitted students are from out of state for each of the US and Canadian schools.

Best of luck.

[This message has been edited by Kimberli Cox (edited April 22, 2001).]

Thanks for your replies. Wow! I had no idea so many VA schools took out-of-staters! I was thinking of schools more along the lines of Tufts, Tulane, NYMC, Albany, Temple, and MCP Hahnemann because I'm pretty much an average applicant (3.6 OGPA, 3.4 SGPA). I think Harvard and Johns Hopkins are a little out of my league, so I'll keep them off my list. GW and Georgetown interest me, but I think they tend to attract students with better than average numbers as well. Any others you have in mind? Hopefully, with my stats I can stay in-state, but it never hurts to look outside of my area for opportunities. Thanks again for your help.

Peace