out of state (need advise!!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalala1027

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first question and I will really appriciate any advise from you guys. I've been hearing that it's harder to get in public school if you are out of state student. I am a Canadian so that it makes me an out-of-state student for all state dental schools.

I've done >1000 hrs of volunteer work in the hospital and church (but not much of shadowing dentist), and couple of math awards and medals when I was in high school. ...and that's it.
GPA:~3.7ish
DAT(TS=19, AA=19):
QR=18
RC=18
BIO=20
Chm=19
Org Chem=18
PAT:23
I took DAT couple of days ago and I really don't like those 18s. I don't know how I did so poorly in math.

Anyways, what do you think I should do?
1) re-take the test again, get a better mark (not sure). Then, apply late.
or
2) Apply early.

If I choose #2, what I my chances getting in any state dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

to be honest, it is going to be an uphill battle to get into any state school. your gpa and community service is great, but your dat is average and your lack of dental experience is below avg.

who says you can't apply early AND retake your DAT?? schools will see both scores regardless of when you apply. apply mid-may/early june and take the DAT when you're ready.

plus, why are you so interested in state schools? not only are you not a resident of a state school, you're not a resident of this country :rolleyes: apply to a mix of schools like the rest of us. I have a 3.6 gpa/3.5 sgpa and a 22 DAT score, and i just got my first acceptance 2 days ago to one of the most expensive schools in the country.

anyhow, best of luck to you..
jb!:)

How do private schools look at Canadians? They don't give preference to state residents over out-of-state residents, but I don't know about international students. If they consider Canadians as out-of-state residents, then that might be your best bet. I've heard that BU has a few Canadians. Has anybody else heard if that's true? But ya, just follow jb's advice and you have a good chance. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I think I should see my dentist and ask if I can shadow him for several hours before June. And apply to all the private schools EARLY.

I've been searching SDN forum for couple of months, but there's not much thread about international student. I just found a thread saying that even if you apply early, AADSAS will hold your application until they recieve my new DAT score (=late application;) ).

Well, there are two types of DAT...for Cananda and States. Some states look at the Canadaina DAT, but mostly don't. I just took the one that applies to more school...which is American DAT (more schools, more chances:)). I am in Ontario and there are only hand-full of schools that I can apply. Plus, only American version has math section(QR) which I thought that I could do better.

And congratulation!! jb.

Just apply early and you will get in somewhere!

Marion

to be honest, it is going to be an uphill battle to get into any state school. your gpa and community service is great, but your dat is average and your lack of dental experience is below avg.

who says you can't apply early AND retake your DAT?? schools will see both scores regardless of when you apply. apply mid-may/early june and take the DAT when you're ready.

plus, why are you so interested in state schools? not only are you not a resident of a state school, you're not a resident of this country :rolleyes: apply to a mix of schools like the rest of us. I have a 3.6 gpa/3.5 sgpa and a 22 DAT score, and i just got my first acceptance 2 days ago to one of the most expensive schools in the country.

anyhow, best of luck to you..
jb!:)

JB, you got in!?! NYU I assume? Congrats!