pguin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I was wondering if anyone knows the average accepted stats for an out of state at trying to get into Michigan State or Ohio. I really like the schools and would love to get in but I dont know if I'm wasting my time applying to the school since they dont accept a large amount of out of state.

3.47 overall GPA
11 11 11 MCAT
average letters of recommendations and clinical experience
1 year1 since graduating (spent being denied by all MD schools!)

Also if anyone knows what schools are best to apply to as an Indiana resident where theres no osteo schools!! Thx

MikeyLu2010

UT Longhorns Alumni
10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2005
Houston, TX
Status
Attending Physician
those are good stats...but beware...MSU out of state tuition is ridiculous...(one of the reasons why i didnt apply there) not sure about OUCOM..havnt done the research...

CuttinEmUp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
Status
you have some very good numbers as far as any school is concerned.

I wouldnt worry about in-state or out-of-state, elminate all doubt and apply to A LOT of schools like i did....i think i applied to EVERY school I thought would be good/fun/cool and interesting.

That left only i think 4 schools that i didnt apply to. the rest have my application already :)

n0chi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
yea apply wherever you want to go...

"we never know what the outcome is for sure..."

gl!

Lisa3158

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
central NJ
Status
I was an out of staters who got into OUCOM this year. Yours stats give you a good shot, just make sure you apply early as well!

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
Your numbers are far better than mine (but my experience was pretty extensive), and I got an interview to MSU last year as OOS. I declined it because I got into a school I liked that was WAY cheaper, but I think it spoke volumes that I even got an interview.

There are other things besides numbers that schools look at. Your essays, experiences, etc. can get you places your numbers won't. Don't rely on numbers alone to get you somewhere, apply broadly, and put your best foot forward. You never know.

FutureDocDO

1K Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
pguin said:
I was wondering if anyone knows the average accepted stats for an out of state at trying to get into Michigan State or Ohio. I really like the schools and would love to get in but I dont know if I'm wasting my time applying to the school since they dont accept a large amount of out of state.

3.47 overall GPA
11 11 11 MCAT

Also if anyone knows what schools are best to apply to as an Indiana resident where theres no osteo schools!! Thx
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled
Total: 1,685 313 241 148
In-state: 490 251 186 131
Out-of-state: 1,195 62 55 17
Women: 820 165 132 79
Minorities: 531 62 50 25
International: 1 1 1 1

dr.z

15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
Detroit, MI
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
pguin said:

3.47 overall GPA
11 11 11 MCAT

I don't think you'll have a problem if you apply early.