Out of state, out of country! Need advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cleothecat, Mar 4, 2007.

1. cleothecat

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jillibean

jillibean Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am not so sure this is true since you usually have to live in a state for 12 mo to be considered a resident and pay taxes, work, register your car, etc. But I wouldn't give up hope there are a lot of schools that take OOS students.

4. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    You may have an advantage, not having residency, if you apply to schools in states to which you have strong ties. Also, there are some schools that will give you in-state tuition after the first year (you would need to ask each school if they do this, not all of them do).

I do have a question though...have you finished undergrad? Because at least 90 hours of those have to be completed in a US school, so you may want to choose an undergrad school to take your pre-reqs and establish residency there, get a driver's license, a job, pay taxes, etc. I think this would be the best thing to do.

5. Darksmurf

Darksmurf I'm the boy smurf
    7+ Year Member

For tuition purposes, I do not think that you will be automatically considered a resident of the state that you go to school in.

The sad truth is that people in your position (I was in a similar position last year) are out of luck. The system is not set up to handle your situation, and as a result you get, in essence, screwed.

There are some loopholes to this.

First, if you are indeed a US citizen, do your parents have residency in any state? If so, you may qualify as a resident of that state if you are young enough. For instance, my parents, even though they were living in Japan, were Washington state residents, but because I was 25, I was too old to qualify as a resident based on their status.

Second, you could always take a year off, get a job somewhere in the US, and thereby become a resident of that state. That is what I did this year; I got a job in NY and thereby became a resident. Most states don't let you become a resident if you move to a state for educational purposes only (though there are some exceptions, like Ohio). That's why you need to get a job, pay taxes, and establish residency. The laws on this vary by state, so you should read them individually. If you take this route, however, it would be best to pick a state like New York or California or Texas to work in because these states have many medical schools for residents to choose from.

Third, not all schools discriminate based on residency. Private schools do not regard residency whatsoever. Also, many state schools, like Ohio State, University of Virginia, and others, accept as many as half of their class as out of state applicants. So, if you do your homework (which you should anyway), you can pick a mix of private and public schools that all will disregard your residency status.

The bottom line is that residency doesn't matter that much for applications unless you are in a state with lots of schools or unless you really want to go to a particular school, like the University of Washington or University of Arizona, that weighs residency heavily. I mean, most people from the Washington state, for instance, still apply to 15 or 20 schools even though Washington only has one medical school. That means that they applied to 14 or 19 schools that were private schools or out of state.

If you've got good stats and good extracurricular activities, then you still have a good shot at many schools even without residency.

6. Amemus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I hadn't heard that before. How do I establish that I have strong ties to a state I don't live in anymore? I lived in Texas for 18 years and I have a lot of family members there. I really like my state's schools, but I like Texas schools too. Could I indicate that on my application somewhere, or does it really matter?

7. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    That by logic would mean you have ties to the area (I really didn't think that was a complicated concept). When I said it would give you an advantage, I didn't mean that it is a criteria or a checkbox in the application, mainly that you might be more likely to get in if you are familiar with that state/area. The schools tend to want to serve their surrounding areas.

8. ryanl

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If you get a secondary application from one of these schools in a state you have ties in, there is often a field where they ask if there is anything else you want to mention that wasn't discussed elsewhere.

That is where you have an opportunity to explain your strong ties to the state/area due to having lived there a majority of your life, your family lives there, etc.

9. Amemus

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I understand. I think it's pretty obvious I have ties, I just wanted to know where it was appropriate to talk about that since they probably wouldn't be able to tell by my application. I forgot about the additional information question.
    Thanks.