Out of State Pharmacy Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoMoneyNoHoney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to apply for pharmacy residencies outside of New York State (where I went to school), but I was wondering if some states are anti-outsiders? I've heard rumors about California and Texas not liking anyone from the outside; it this true? Also is there a ranking on programs in each specific state? I would like to narrow my list down to 10 but I'm having some troubles. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The biggest issue is getting a license in CA. The board prioritized CA in state grads and it can take well in to October to get licensed which is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi, I would like to apply for pharmacy residencies outside of New York State (where I went to school), but I was wondering if some states are anti-outsiders? I've heard rumors about California and Texas not liking anyone from the outside; it this true? Also is there a ranking on programs in each specific state? I would like to narrow my list down to 10 but I'm having some troubles. Thanks!

I don't think is true that California not like anyone from outside. A lot of my friends work there and many of them went to school and did residencies in other states. Also I've seen that many of the pharmacists that work in especially the chains now are from other countries where they got their education and training and then come to California to work in retail. This seems to have been an increasing trend over the years.

my program actually prefers out of staters -we strive to "mix things up"

Reactions: 1 users