Out of State Practice CA -> NC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phanicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about being licensed in CA but working with clients in CA while living in and being a resident of NC. Here's my situation:

I am currently on postdoc in California and hopefully getting licensed by November. My plan was to stay here but life happens and it seems like I may move to NC in the next year. I would love to bring my caseload with me via telehealth and according to the Board in CA, I will be able to maintain my license and continue working with my clients in CA, while living in NC, as long as it's okay with the NC Board. My problem is that I can't find an answer from the NC Board. They have stipulations around non-residents working with out-of-state clients but I will be a resident of NC. Also, this is probably not relevant but I plan to get licensed ASAP in NC when I move.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about being licensed in CA but working with clients in CA while living in and being a resident of NC. Here's my situation:

I am currently on postdoc in California and hopefully getting licensed by November. My plan was to stay here but life happens and it seems like I may move to NC in the next year. I would love to bring my caseload with me via telehealth and according to the Board in CA, I will be able to maintain my license and continue working with my clients in CA, while living in NC, as long as it's okay with the NC Board. My problem is that I can't find an answer from the NC Board. They have stipulations around non-residents working with out-of-state clients but I will be a resident of NC. Also, this is probably not relevant but I plan to get licensed ASAP in NC when I move.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Have you contacted the NC board directly? I have found them to be fairly responsive to my questions over the past year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree that the best bet is to contact the NC board. Generally speaking, from what I've seen and heard, you should be licensed both in the state where you're located (since that's where you're physically practicing psychology) and the state in which the patient is located.

Reactions: 1 users
I would agree that the best bet is to contact the NC board. Generally speaking, from what I've seen and heard, you should be licensed both in the state where you're located (since that's where you're physically practicing psychology) and the state in which the patient is located.
That makes sense. The more I think about it, the less I worried I won't be allowed to do it but I went ahead and reached out to their board to verify.

That makes sense. The more I think about it, the less I worried I won't be allowed to do it but I went ahead and reached out to their board to verify.
If you're licensed in both NC and CA, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to maintain your cases in CA while living in NC. But state psych boards can be quirky sometimes.

That's what I've heard and what worries me. Transitioning out there with at least some of my current caseload will be great financially but also because the work is rich and I care about them. I would hate for some quirky rule to interfere with that. I'm holding out hope though!

I agree with others who have advised that you contact the board directly to verify, but I also agree that to my knowledge it works as long as you are licensed in the state in which you are located as well as the state in which your patient is located.

Something to consider, and apologies if you’ve already thought of this, how would this work in terms of would you have a private practice in NC in order to deliver care to the patients in CA or would you maintain your privileges with the organization for which you currently work in CA? Something to consider as far as how you will do billing, documentation, carry malpractice insurance, etc.

I agree with others who have advised that you contact the board directly to verify, but I also agree that to my knowledge it works as long as you are licensed in the state in which you are located as well as the state in which your patient is located.

Something to consider, and apologies if you’ve already thought of this, how would this work in terms of would you have a private practice in NC in order to deliver care to the patients in CA or would you maintain your privileges with the organization for which you currently work in CA? Something to consider as far as how you will do billing, documentation, carry malpractice insurance, etc.
I really appreciate the question. I'm not totally sure how that will work but it's something I'll have to work on. As a little background, I'm about to graduate from a program that is letting me take my clients into private practice with me. So it'll be a private practice to private practice shift, which I imagine will be easier than bringing them straight from an organization. I'm planning on figuring out the business side of private practice here and in NC once I take and pass my CA law and ethics exam so I should have plenty of time. So much to do!

Update for those wondering this same thing in the future: the NC board requires psychologists to be licensed in NC and whichever state they're practicing in. So I'll be required to be licensed in both states to continue working with my CA caseload. While this was my plan anyway, it is reassuring to have confirmation that they'll allow it. Seems like that's not always the case.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Reactions: 4 users