Out-of-state Public Schools to Consider for TX residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

daaarn

I'm a Texas resident (stats are 3.6/30) and I'm wondering which (if any) public medical schools in adjacent states (Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico) I should consider applying to (since Tulane's the only private school among those states)?

Obviously I'd prefer to stay in-state for financial reasons, but the next best thing for me would be to stay within the same region. I know out-of-state public schools highly prefer their own residents, but I'm still wondering if some of them may be a bit friendlier to TX applicants (esp. those with rather average stats). Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Cross off Louisiana and Arizona state schools. OOS applicants get their application thrown in the trash.

I'll trade you my CA residency for your TX residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cross off Louisiana and Arizona state schools. OOS applicants get their application thrown in the trash.
Good to know. What about the rest? Is Arkansas or Oklahoma friendly? Scratch that question, just saw the other replies.:oops:

Also, kinda OT, but I've been told to apply early&broadly and I'm wondering, exactly how "broadly?" What's a good amount? Not including the 8 TX schools, I'm looking at a bunch of private schools like NYMC, Albany, Temple, Drexel, Rush, and a couple others. Suggestions would be welcome (stats are 3.6/30).

Good to know. What about the rest? Is Arkansas or Oklahoma friendly?

Also, kinda OT, but I've been told to apply early&broadly and I'm wondering, exactly how "broadly?" What's a good amount? Not including the 8 TX schools, I'm looking at a bunch of private schools like NYMC, Albany, Temple, Drexel, Rush, and a couple others. Suggestions would be welcome (stats are 3.6/30).

I think you have a fair shot at those private schools.

I think you have a fair shot at those private schools.
Thanks for the input! I guess I'll focus the rest of my selections on private schools then. Or are there other public schools like VCU that I could consider (a sentimental favorite for me is Buffalo b/c I grew up around there, but I doubt SUNY schools would be very open to OOS).

Now, I really need to bring up a problem that will be occurring a LOT in the next few years in Texas. Applications are going up astronomically here (I think this year we had 4,200 and it's steadily increasing by 300 each year). When you realize that there are only 1,300 or so spots for 4,200+ applicants, you start dipping into the low 30s and eventually the high 20s in terms of percent of people getting in. But before that happens, people will still be applying to TMDSAS and ONLY TMDSAS because of one thing: tuition.

The problem comes when Texas applicants realize that Tx schools aren't such a rosy place to apply anymore. That will definitely wreak havoc everywhere in the US.

Now, I really need to bring up a problem that will be occurring a LOT in the next few years in Texas. Applications are going up astronomically here (I think this year we had 4,200 and it's steadily increasing by 300 each year). When you realize that there are only 1,300 or so spots for 4,200+ applicants, you start dipping into the low 30s and eventually the high 20s in terms of percent of people getting in. But before that happens, people will still be applying to TMDSAS and ONLY TMDSAS because of one thing: tuition.

The problem comes when Texas applicants realize that Tx schools aren't such a rosy place to apply anymore. That will definitely wreak havoc everywhere in the US.
I hear they're opening a new school out in El Paso. I've only heard about it thru the grapevine tho, so I don't even know when they'll open. Still, that wouldn't be enough to keep up with the rise of applicants.