Out of State School vs In State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notgettingin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just recieved a call from my state school and was offered a place off the waitlist. I was also accepted at a midwestern private school (SLU). Tuition would be 18,800 vs 42,000. Is this a no-brainer? I think I am having second thoughts because I mentally prepared myself for the move, found an apartment and have gotten into the idea of living in St Louis. Plus I really liked the school. Is there much of a difference between SUNY Buffalo and St Louis in terms of the quality of education? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I just recieved a call from my state school and was offered a place off the waitlist. I was also accepted at a midwestern private school (SLU). Tuition would be 18,800 vs 42,000. Is this a no-brainer? I think I am having second thoughts because I mentally prepared myself for the move, found an apartment and have gotten into the idea of living in St Louis. Plus I really liked the school. Is there much of a difference between SUNY Buffalo and St Louis in terms of the quality of education? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

It is a no brainer - save your money. SLU is OK, but it is not worth that kind of $$$ when you have a more economical alternative back home...

It is a no brainer unless you are head over heels in LOVE with SLU. Go to SUNY and save your $$. Many people would be thrilled to go to their state school. Ah hem...

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely vote for your state school. 21k x 4years = a lot of money.

congrats on the options you have. Many are accepted to only one school and have to go there no matter what.

I would be saving my money. I already have a pretty penny in undergrad loans although i will have a very good job to take the edge off for the next couple of years until i apply for matriculation in 2009.

State school all the way. 21k a year is actually a very good price. It is hard to find that nowadays. Does that include summers?

Thanks everyone! I just paused for a second, because I spent all of last week apartment hunting in St Louis, and finally found a great place that I loved. I had really written off all of my waitlists, so this took me by suprise. Just wanted to get some feedback, and you all reinforced what I was thinking :thumbup:

Go to SUNY. St. Louis U is not worth the extra money. If your choice was Washhington U, I would give you different advice and suggest that you spend the extra money. But not in this case.

Ditto what everyone else is saying. That's a huge savings, and the differences are minimal (if any). As long as you don't hate SUNY or love SLU.

Make sure you factor in fees, cost of living, transportation expenses as well. Although in your case I still think the difference will be significant, you'd be surprised how much it would alter how you view the $$. For example, the tuition difference for the two schools at which I got offers was at first glance significantly different. But when I budgeted everything out, the cost difference was small enough I felt comfortable accepting an offer from the more "expensive" school (which, coincidentally, I felt was a much better fit for me).

if you're in LOVE with SLU go there... if it doesnt matter to you, then go to your state school. I mean yes, you will be saving, but go with what you LOVE, if thats the case.

The education is practically the same, so if I were you I would stick with the state school.

I would go SUNY ... first of all, being from St. Louis, people don't consider SLU to be all that great of a medical school. It's actually got some issues being affilitated with a for-profit hospital system, etc. Also, you're talking about a 100K+ difference in the long run for maybe a marginally better school? Go SUNY ...

yes it is. When it comes to medschool, cheaper is better.