Out of State Schools for Texas Residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GonefromTX

Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently applying to medical school through the 2015 cycle and I was wondering what other OOS schools I should apply to besides the Texas schools listed on TMDSAS. I am looking for schools which are fitting of my stats and are favorable to OOS applicants. Here are my stats:

34 MCAT
3.7 GPA at UT Austin
120 volunteer hours at a hospital
2 leadership positions in my fraternity; president of my pre-med student organization
NO research experience at all and only ~30 hours of shadowing a primary care physician

So far the OOS schools Im thinking of are Albany, NYMC, Rosalin Franklin, Rochester, Vanderbilt, Columbia and Cornell.

Any new suggestions or anything I should take off from the list? Or should I even bother applying to OOS at all considering it costs around $1000 more for AMCAS and all the supplemental application fees?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I am currently applying to medical school through the 2015 cycle and I was wondering what other OOS schools I should apply to besides the Texas schools listed on TMDSAS. I am looking for schools which are fitting of my stats and are favorable to OOS applicants. Here are my stats:

34 MCAT
3.7 GPA at UT Austin
120 volunteer hours at a hospital
2 leadership positions in my fraternity; president of my pre-med student organization
NO research experience at all and only ~30 hours of shadowing a primary care physician

So far the OOS schools Im thinking of are Albany, NYMC, Rosalin Franklin, Rochester, Vanderbilt, Columbia and Cornell.

Any new suggestions or anything I should take off from the list? Or should I even bother applying to OOS at all considering it costs around $1000 more for AMCAS and all the supplemental application fees?

Thanks for your help!
To understand your situation, imagine that you are an admissions officer at the schools you have listed.
Albany, NYM, and Chicago Med know that your chances of acceptance in TX are high. They are all going to be much more expensive than any place in TX. Why would you choose them? They don't know either, thus no interview.

In order for the other schools to interview you they have to be willing to offer a scholarship to entice you (given the same assumption of an acceptance in TX). Are your accomplishments sufficient to merit such a decision at these schools? If you believe the answer is yes, apply.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. If I knew for sure that I would get accepted into a medical school in Texas I wouldnt be applying to OOS anyway.

What would you do? Would you apply to only the 9 medical schools in Texas? It seems that I wouldnt have much luck OOS but 9 seems like a really low number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. If I knew for sure that I would get accepted into a medical school in Texas I wouldnt be applying to OOS anyway.

What would you do? Would you apply to only the 9 medical schools in Texas? It seems that I wouldnt have much luck OOS but 9 seems like a really low number.
Not in TX with your stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

Admittedly, it does sound like a low number, but of those nine, you've got two slight reaches, five really good fits, and two safeties, all of which will look closely at your application because you're in state and appear to have the requisite qualifications.

Them's good odds.

Reactions: 1 users
Since I went through the effort of completing AMCAS for Baylor, I decided to add two "dream" schools to my list (Vandy and Mayo) to get an even 10 schools applied, no TCOM. Whatever you think is best, but I wouldn't waste money/time applying to several OOS schools.

Admittedly, it does sound like a low number, but of those nine, you've got two slight reaches, five really good fits, and two safeties, all of which will look closely at your application because you're in state and appear to have the requisite qualifications.

Them's good odds.
Which 2 schools are the safeties?

To understand your situation, imagine that you are an admissions officer at the schools you have listed.
Albany, NYM, and Chicago Med know that your chances of acceptance in TX are high. They are all going to be much more expensive than any place in TX. Why would you choose them? They don't know either, thus no interview.

In order for the other schools to interview you they have to be willing to offer a scholarship to entice you (given the same assumption of an acceptance in TX). Are your accomplishments sufficient to merit such a decision at these schools? If you believe the answer is yes, apply.

So essentially you're saying that, for typical IS Texans, it's best to just apply IS?

So essentially you're saying that, for typical IS Texans, it's best to just apply IS?
Yes.
Unless your accomplishments are likely to put you in strong consideration for a recruitment scholarship OOS (at a school you would rather attend) or you need DO schools to increase your odds of acceptance, there is little point in applying OOS from TX.

I would think UTSA is a safety too according to msar unless I'm reading it wrong

Not sure why they were 'unranked' per US Newsthis year, but normally, the 'unofficial ranking' is: (Baylor = UTSW) > UTH > (UTMB=UTHSCSA) > TA&M > TT Lubbuck > TT El Paso > TCOM

Since you're already completing AMCAS for Baylor, you can also put in some dream schools to apply to.

Rochester, Vanderbilt, Columbia and Cornell are really not safety schools, so I assume they're your dream schools? Like what previous posters said, just applying to Texas schools should warrant you enough safties already.