Out of state student becoming resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtle2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that ALL out of state minority students at UIC qualify for instate tuition starting the first year. Is that true? If so, how does one apply? What is the best way to become a resident of a different state?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that each state controls what constitutes legal residency, and how long you have to be living there in order to gain resident status.

Off the top of my head, in general, it's usually 6+ months (some 12??) and getting a driver license in your name, or a voter registration card, or working and paying income tax -- these are the things that usually entail gaining residency. Proving a residence, i.e., address where you receive utility bills can be another.

I think most states set the rules for themselves, and then schools must abide by them. Can schools then make their own rules for what constitutes a resident? I thought not... but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

If you can't find your specific answer online, I'd recommend calling (perhaps anonymously) the admissions/deans office and inquiring...

Good luck!

I think that most states are 1 year+ rather than 6 months+. For what it's worth I was counted as a resident for admission purposes for 2008 to UC Davis, having moved here in early September of 2007.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd love to know for sure one way or the other, but I'd be very surprised if any school did that - sounds like a discrimination suit waiting to happen.

I don't know that much about UIC (chicago), but it is in the UI system, which includes UIUC (urbana-Champaign). I haven't heard this one, before. It may be that they are talking about establishing residency during your first year. This a process in which you would do certain things to establish residency with guidance from the school. You would then pay resident tuition for the rest of your education. Also, it doesn't just apply to minorities. It would apply to every OOS student that can qualify.

If you can't find your specific answer online, I'd recommend calling (perhaps anonymously) the admissions/deans office and inquiring...

That's a great idea Cookie!! I think I'm going to do that for KSU sometime soon... I know at the orientation during the interviews, he said that it was absolutely NOT possible to gain residency when you come in as an OOS student. But I don't know...?! That's kind of all he said about it and I hope that really isn't set in concrete. :p

That's a great idea Cookie!! I think I'm going to do that for KSU sometime soon... I know at the orientation during the interviews, he said that it was absolutely NOT possible to gain residency when you come in as an OOS student. But I don't know...?! That's kind of all he said about it and I hope that really isn't set in concrete. :p

:( I feel your desire, because I sure have it too... From what I understand, it's very difficult to gain residency status with the CVM (state, CVM, whomever). Kansas has a really long document online (state government document) - and they are soo specific. Like, you can't just "work" or have a job to do it. They define what types of work, and if it's work that a student might have (waiter/waitress, for instance) it doesn't count. In fact, I think either it, or the CVM, flat-out says, if you came here initially with the purpose of school, you ain't gettin' it.

Now, if your spouse comes there, and works for K-State, I believe, at least for my class, you could get in-state tuition. I heard second-hand that THAT may be impossible for future classes. If your spouse comes to KS and works for some other employer, I think that doesn't count - but again, don't quote me.

Put bluntly, regarding KSU, they rely on our 50% of the OOSers in the class for the $. So whether by fact, or by design, it is very hard to switch.

At the end of my interview, one of my interviewers proposed that I move to KS, establish residency, and re-apply the following cycle, to save $. Obviously, I didn't do that, but in retrospect, it really isn't a bad idea. One year of your life in exchange for saving thousands in tuition (loans)?

But, anyway, off the tangent. If you find a way, great, and, let me know how you did it, if you ever do. :D

At the end of my interview, one of my interviewers proposed that I move to KS, establish residency, and re-apply the following cycle, to save $. Obviously, I didn't do that, but in retrospect, it really isn't a bad idea. One year of your life in exchange for saving thousands in tuition (loans)?
I'll probably be doing this (what state, I don't know yet), since we're already $200k in for DHs vet school tuition, we can't really afford to do it for mine too, but I can wait an extra year to start school.

I have heard of a few schools that do allow you to establish residency after starting school, but they are few and far between.

I'll probably be doing this (what state, I don't know yet), since we're already $200k in for DHs vet school tuition, we can't really afford to do it for mine too, but I can wait an extra year to start school.

I have heard of a few schools that do allow you to establish residency after starting school, but they are few and far between.

I think Ohio's one of 'em... if you hadn't already heard.

Does anyone have more details on Ohio State residency requirements? I tried searching the forum and did not find any results.

Basically my question is, if all my income is from student loans, is that considered "Ohio based income"?

Does anyone have more details on Ohio State residency requirements? I tried searching the forum and did not find any results.

Basically my question is, if all my income is from student loans, is that considered "Ohio based income"?

Hi whyrightmeow, we're going to be classmates! If you're on facebook you should join the OSU CVM Class of 2012 facebook group. There's a discussion topic posted about becoming an Ohio resident, and it has a link to the website that has the guidelines. Basically, you have to be independent from your parents financially, and that can include loans from a financial institution (but not *personal* loans). You also have to become a legal resident of Ohio (which is apparently different than being considered a resident for tuition purposes) by applying for an OH driver's lisence, register to vote, etc.

Also, I had this question and my big sib answered it. You ARE allowed to stay on your parents' health insurance (if you're still on it). However, you do need to pay for all your own car insurance, rent, etc. And I believe it helps your case to have a job of some kind - to prove you pay Ohio taxes, I'm sure. Hope that helps a little!

Anyone know if you can switch from an OSS to an IS after the first year for NCSU? I couldnt find the info on the web and I thought Id ask here before I called.