out-of-state SUNY acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaneshiro0101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to take a poll on how many out-of-state applicants have applied to/interviewed at/been accepted by the SUNY med schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed at SUNY Downstate back in january. i havent gotten a decision yet though

Members don't see this ad :)
Out-of-state, interviewed at SUNY Downstate December 29, accepted February 12.

Out of state, interviewed and waitlisted at Buffalo

Hey,

SUNY Upstate claims to no longer have any in-state preference. The rest of the schools, however, do not make the same claim, though it appears Downstate is a bit more generous than Buffalo and Stony Brook in terms of accepting applicants from out of state.

Good luck.

Out of state. Only SUNY I applied to was Stonybrook.

Interviewed August, accepted October.

Hi, I heard that you can call Buffalo to find out where you are on their waitlist. Is this true? And if so, how come they (the school) never informed me of that? Thanks:)

Out of a class of 180, we currently have 19 people from out-of-state. I think the highest representation was from California.

-MS1
SUNY Downstate Class of 2007

Out of state, accepted to SUNY Downstate

I'm from California

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from California and was accepted in December.

I'm posting for someone. Out of state, interviewed in mid-Feb, nothing yet.

Out of state, accepted to Downstate on 11/13/03.

anyone else?

i'm waitlisted at upstate (HPA) and on hold at downstate.

:-\

Posting for a buddy, CA resident and accepted at Upstate

out of state, interviewed mid january, placed on "high priority alternate list" (whatever that means) at Upstate.

I'm just sort of curious why out of staters would want to goto the SUNYs...

They don't rank particularly high or anything. Why choose SUNY over your state school?

Originally posted by Fumoffu
I'm just sort of curious why out of staters would want to goto the SUNYs...

They don't rank particularly high or anything. Why choose SUNY over your state school?

cause california kids didnt get into their state schools. the number 1 export california has are premeds. the sunys are a good groups of medical schools that people would be happy to attend.

I'm in-state and am waitlisted at Upstate (HPA) and Buffalo. Have any of you in the same situation heard any new news about their waitlist movement?

I think Upstate's HPA won't even budge until late April...but I was wondering what you found on Buffalo (aside from calling and getting your ranking).

Also, for those of you who go there - do they ask you for your lease documents, etc. when you apply for in-state tuition status? I'm on a sublease, so I'm wondering...

Originally posted by jlee9531
cause california kids didnt get into their state schools. the number 1 export california has are premeds. the sunys are a good groups of medical schools that people would be happy to attend.

Yup. I'm from California. I applied to all 5 UC med schools, didn't even get an interview at any of them.

Got into Downstate though. (Only SUNY I applied to.)

Now I'm trying to decide between USC and Downstate.
(Accepted at both).

And I'm on Columbia's waitlist, for whatever that's worth.