Out of State SUNY Upstate Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNguyenMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to ask if anyone who is reading who's actually lived in or is currently living in Syracuse right, what there is to do recreationally aside from the universal "getting plastered with your buddies at the tavern". The only time I was at Syracuse was for my interview and that only lasted a day and a half. There were a few snap shots here and there that impressed me, like the local theater house and this nice mainstreet of eateries and bars. I just was curious what you upstate New Yorkers can do after exams for fun.

Some advice on how to survive the unforgiving winters would help too, b/c, this is where it gets priceless, I'm from a beach city of southern CA. :)

Thanks

NNguyenMD UMU '07

Members don't see this ad.

That I couldn't tell you for sure. When I got in I thought I had pretty decent stats, GPA 3.58 cum and 3.59 sci. My SAT was 1300, that was the minimum requirement then, its 1200 now. Also they explicitly stated that the did not give in state preference, I am certain that helped alot in getting me through the front door.

My ecs are pretty diversified, from basic sci research to being a student body senator. Like any school, they look at the overall application and assess if whats on paper matches with you in person during the interview. I would encourage you to apply to SUNY Upstate, especially to their EAP program if you're a sophomore or freshmen undergrad now. One thing I have heard around the forum that makes a lot of sense when applying is to get rec letters from MDs based on hospital volunteering and experience. Actually any hospital experience will do, I know alot of you are EMTs and lisenced hospital technicians, that kind of experience is golden in my opinion when it comes to medical school applications. Two of the four rec letters I submitted were from MDs, the other two were from basic sci professors. Hope that helps.

I got into Upstate (and I'm a NJ resident) They don't have any preference for in-staters anymore (per the admissions director-that's what counts :) )
My stats are pretty average- but my ECs are pretty good (IMO).

as far as stuff to do- i'm not too sure about that either- any input would be great :)