Out-of-State Tuition in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ja3ger

The Red Viper
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are OOS med students at Texas schools (or know of them)...

I understand that receiving a scholarship (as small as $1000, even) can qualify you for IS tuition at Texas schools.

In your experience, how often will a school NOT qualify an OOS student for IS tuition?

Do virtually all OOS students use the loophole, or only a select few?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for other schools, but in San Antonio they said that every OOS student is automatically given in-state tuition in the form of a scholarship.

Did they say this on an interview day? And does that include 1st year IS tuition as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
at southwestern every single OOS admitted student gets in state tuition plus the $1000 scholly for all 4 years. you don't have to do anything special, just be admitted. the award is spelled out in the acceptance letter.

source: interview day financial aid seminar, being an OOS student at utsw myself, and knowing other OOS students in my class

another nice thing: tuition increases are by law capped at something like 3.5% per year. so you can be reasonably sure you won't see tuition arbitrarily raised 20% if the school budget goes sour.

Does anyone know if the $1000 scholarship for all OOS students is also true for TCOM!?!?

I didn't get A&M.. But I got TCOM!!!

I didn't get A&M.. But I got TCOM!!!
So does TCOM automatically offer most of its OOS students a $1000 scholarship so they can qualify for in state tuition? If so, do they do so for all 4 years?

Wait I didn't know this...wow.

Brb applying to all texas schools now...

Oh wow idk how I posted on the wrong thread. But to answer your question, I believe they continue to offer you the scholarship until you are considered a Texas resident yourself. So pretty much all OOS people get in state tuition. Hope that helps.

So does TCOM automatically offer most of its OOS students a $1000 scholarship so they can qualify for in state tuition? If so, do they do so for all 4 years?

Omg idk how I posted in the wrong thread. But to answer your question, they give you the scholarship until you become a Texas resident. So OOS people pretty much gets in state tuition. Actually, they technically pay 1k less than the in state people.