Out of staters at NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an interview at NYCOM but I'm from PA. I read one post that says they only accept 1 out of state student per year. Can anyone back this up? If so, my chances seem pretty bleak.

Also, is it typical to get an interview without filling out a secondary application or paying the fee? My grades aren't that great (3.25) and my MCATs are good enough (28) so I was pretty suprised as a PA resident to get this offer based only on my numbers.

Members don't see this ad.

go to the US news and world report web site and look up NYCOM. It should give you the info on out of state acceptance for last years entering class.

http://www.usnews.com

As far as the secondary goes. There is none at NYCOM. That's what I'm told from the folks round here. Apparently, while your waiting for your interview they give you a TEST on facts about osteopathy and NYCOM. The answers to the question are supposedly provided to you during the information tour befor hand, anlong with gen knowledge. They use the results of the test to evaluate you. Strange system if you ask me. A few kids said the pop quiz is pretty ruff. I recommend you try to email some NYCOMers. There's a few posts in recent days that should send you in the correct direction.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004

Hi,

I interviewed at NYCOM a couple of weeks ago. There is no pop quiz, nor is there any questions for you to answer regarding osteopathy. There is a secondary, similar to all the other osteopathic secondaries, only shorter. You bring a 2x2 pic of yourself and the supp fee of $60. There will be approximately 500-600 interviewed this year, the entering class will be the largest as of yet at 300. 40 of these slots will be given to FMG's, the other 260 will be given to regular applicants.

This is information from the Director of Admissions and from my experience there two weeks ago.. I hope this helps you with your interview process and GOOD LUCK!! By the way, I was interviewed from out of state, and there was one other person there from out of state. I understand that although most of the slots go to in-state applicants, a few highly desired applicants will be interviewed from other states.

Good luck with all your endeavors!

Poet
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh! Even I'm surprised by their increasing the class size to 300! That's insane!

Logistically, I can't figure how that would work out. The NYCOM anatomy lab isn't all that big, even though it's the biggest of all anatomy labs I've seen, and I can't imagine how they're gonna fit all 300 of them in there. How many students per cadaver at NYCOM? I think I remember hearing between 4 and 6, but I'm not sure.

Tim of New York City.

JB,

I'm going to have an interview at NYCOM too, on 1/5/00. I'm also an out stater (from DE). When is your interview?

I'll also be interviewing on the 5th!

JB,

That's really cool. Where are you going to stay? Would you like to get together the night before for some chat?

Hey, I have an interview on the 5th also.
Looking forward to meeting you.

Unfortunately I'll be getting in pretty late because I live in PA and have to work that day. But, I'll be sure to look for you both the day of. I hear there is only 6 interviewees per day so you shouldn't be too hard to find.