Out-of-Staters that applied to Maryland, Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kafshar

Have any out-of-staters who applied to Univ of Maryland and Univ of Wisconsin heard anything at all from those schools. I havent received secondaries from either of them and am wondering if my $30 fee for each school (AMCAS app) has gone down the drain.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a californian just like yourself and i did the whole process at maryland, secondary towards the end of the summer, interviewed in october, and got accepted a few weeks ago, I know of other out of staters who are at various stages in the process, so give them a call, it's getting late for no secondary. They take a decent number of out of staters for a state school, good luck

I applied to Wisconsin out of state (WHY?) and never heard a peep from them...oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Californian and I applied to Wisconsin for MSTP and have my interview their tomorrow and Friday. I don't remember when I got the secondary and stuff though.

Good luck,

Adam

I have not heard a word from Wisconsin. I finally called them once and they said hang tight.

Applied to Maryland. Turned their secondary about 2 months ago. Heard nothing since - no app complete or anything...I'm an Aug MCATer though...

Hi guys, I just wanted to drop by and say a few things about maryland. I just had a md/phd interview there today. Bottom line: even if u r outofstate, if u get an interview here DEFINITELY try to come. School is fabulous!!! U can tell the school has lots of cash flowing around. New buildings everywhere and hospitals are more like 5 star hotels. Plus faculty and students are super humble and nice. I'm very impressed with teh program.. not much lecture hours but then it's not totally PBL like harvard or columbia. Plus research here is strong, w/ people like bob gallo good luck

just called madison today...they are in the middle of reviewing out of state primary apps right now...they said the secondary deadline would probably be pushed back into january...

Hello! I had a secondary for Maryland in September and I interviewed in October. I just received the secondary for Wisconsin (like 1 week ago).

Good luck with both schools!

Remember: California has THE cheese and happy cows come from California! or something like that. guess maybe midwest hates CA b/c its cows aren't freezing, so they won't send us a secondary! sorry for being stupid, i just like cow commercial... ;)

I applied to U Maryland, sent in my secondary about 3 weeks ago, still no word other then a "we got your application and its complete" note. I spent a summer at NIH and got to see U MD, I thought it was awesome too, plus I liked Baltimore.

I interviewed at WI last week, and there were some out-of-staters, but I think they must be behind with the whole process. I know of some WI residents with good stats that have not even received a secondary yet, and all WI residents with min stats get secondaries.

Bottom line: even if u r outofstate, if u get an interview here DEFINITELY try to come. School is fabulous!!!••

Plus, I'm from Baltimore!
What more could you want?

Maryland - secondary received in August, returned to the school in early September. They sent a letter stating that my file was complete in late September, and I haven't heard a word since.

I'm an Illinois resident and I just got a pre-secondary rejection from Wisconsin.

An the only dairy issue wisconsins have with Californians is that California now makes more milk, and has usurped the "dairy capital of America" title.

HELLO WISCONSIN!

Points to anyone who gets the quote.

Here's a little clue about the University of Wisconsin from a Wisconsin resident. UW's policy is not to accept more than 10% of the med school class as out of state residents. This is 14 people. (143 spots total) The last few years, the percentage of the class that has been out of state residents has been about 5%. Most state schools will not even look at you unless you are a state resident or live in a county that boarders that state (Examples: University of Missouri, University of Kansas), others will not look at you AT ALL unless you are a state resident or a resident of a state that the school has a reciprocity deal with (Example: University of Colorado will not even look at you if you are not a Colorado resident, but they have a deal with the state of Wyoming to allow their residents in because Wyoming does not have a med school). My advice: don't get bent completely out of shape by other state schools. They all have policies of accepting in state residents because the school is funded by state taxes, so legally they have to turn away out of state residents of face losing funding by the state government. It sucks, but this is real life and real life is never fair. Deal with it.

I as well got a thin envelope from Univ. of Wisconsin. I'm a California Resident, but I've been granted an interview at Michigan State which screens out-of-state applicants quite heavily. Each school looks for different things I guess.

I am not putting the school down or anything because I'm sure it's a great school, but honestly what out-of-state applicant will prefer to attend Univ. of Wisconsin over their state school or over an out-of-state school in a more populous area?

I was checking out their admissions profile of students accepted and students who enrolled, and their were a handful of Ivy-leaguers accepted to Univ. of Wisconsin, but none of them enrolled.

[
An the only dairy issue wisconsins have with Californians is that California now makes more milk, and has usurped the "dairy capital of America" title.

totally agree! Have you heard the commercial--"happy cows come from California"? but, I lived in WI for 2 years and love it! Except for the horrible weather, it has the same if not higher standard of living as CA and stuff is inexpensive.