Out-of-Staters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FCIllini

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy from Houston!! Was curious to see if anyone knew of dental schools that might waive out-of-state tuition after attending there for say a year or two.

I'm studying for the DAT and plan to take it in May/June, but still haven't pinned down where I'll apply. Definitely the Texas schools - UTH, UTSA, & Baylor. Was also planning on applying to Kentucky, Louisville, UMKC, & maybe Alabama-Birmingham, but wasn't sure if it would be a waste for an out-of-stater at these public institutions.

Also, is UOP the only school that offers a 36-month program. Even though it's an expensive school, three years sure is tempting.

Members don't see this ad.

FCIllini said:
Howdy from Houston!! Was curious to see if anyone knew of dental schools that might waive out-of-state tuition after attending there for say a year or two.

I'm studying for the DAT and plan to take it in May/June, but still haven't pinned down where I'll apply. Definitely the Texas schools - UTH, UTSA, & Baylor. Was also planning on applying to Kentucky, Louisville, UMKC, & maybe Alabama-Birmingham, but wasn't sure if it would be a waste for an out-of-stater at these public institutions.

Also, is UOP the only school that offers a 36-month program. Even though it's an expensive school, three years sure is tempting.

It varies from state to state. Most states will let you change residency and pay the lower rate once you are a resident, but the school may be more selective for out of staters.

This link is to a site that has links to each state's resideny requirements.
Residencies

Tennessee is basically required to recognize you as in state after you move and if you file taxes here. So if you worked the summer before school started in memphis and filed taxes they should change the residency status.

But just call schools and see, most registrar's offices will have someone who can answer your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you that at Louisville once you are admitted as on out-of-state student, you remain that way for the whole time. Bummer....

off the top of my head, both Buffalo and Washington allow you to pay in-state tuition rates after 1 year (but I'm not 100% about UW).

At Pittsburgh, you can pay in state (after one year) if you can convince a state panel/committee that you plan on staying in Pennsylvania long term:
- marriage to state resident
- buy a house (?)
- family contacts / plan long term residency
- Penn. practice lined-up to buy, etc.

Though the process is difficult and often unsuccessful, if you have to go there it is certainly worth your effort to try and convince them b/c you'll save a ton a of money in tuition.

(Upitt info from current students).

eran76 said:
off the top of my head, both Buffalo and Washington allow you to pay in-state tuition rates after 1 year (but I'm not 100% about UW).

At Pittsburgh, you can pay in state (after one year) if you can convince a state panel/committee that you plan on staying in Pennsylvania long term:
- marriage to state resident
- buy a house (?)
- family contacts / plan long term residency
- Penn. practice lined-up to buy, etc.

Though the process is difficult and often unsuccessful, if you have to go there it is certainly worth your effort to try and convince them b/c you'll save a ton a of money in tuition.

(Upitt info from current students).

What about state of Ohio? Anyone has experience or information?

FCIllini said:

UMKC will probably not even give you an interview unless u have atleast a 20 on the DAT. Once u are a resident of Missouri, u can pay in state tuition though.

LMav said:
What about state of Ohio? Anyone has experience or information?

Yes, OSU treats you as resident for tuition purposes after one year.

Hassan_OSU2009 said:
Yes, OSU treats you as resident for tuition purposes after one year.
Same goes for UNC and UConn.