Out of the closet!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is just total rambling about my life, so if you're not interested you can quit reading now.. :)

Even though Iguess I could qualify as a non-trad I still heavily value the input of my of my family (parents/brother/etc)... I'm only 25, after all, and we're a pretty close-knit bunch.

So...I "came out" to my parents the other day about my educational goals..

It actually went something like this (I had been considering nursing school a while back... and have since changed to pre-med but had not told anyone)....

me: I'm just not sure what I'm going to do.. I don't really think I want to be a nurse.
dad: have you ever thought about pre-med?
me: well, actually, yes!
mom: maybe you should move to choctaw county? haha (a county here in our state that offers 100% tuition/supplies grant + living expenses after you reside there for 1 year)
dad: I think that's a great goal.

Whew, what a relief that that's all over with. Ridiculou as it sounds, I can't even begin to explain how nervous I was about telling my family how I felt. Having a brother who's a doctor didn't make it any easier.

Although my Dad still thinks I should pursue some sort of tech/associates degree so that I can continue to work (since I do have two small
kids and a husband that's hardly any help/not supportive) while finishing my studies. I'm waffling on that because I really have a hard
time seeing myself spending 2 years going to school full-time to make maybe $5-10/hr more than I make now, when my final goal is something like med school. Any ideas?

I know this was a total BS post.. but it felt good to get it out. Thanks for reading, if you did. :clap: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

welcome to the premed bandwagon
i really admire people who juggle other time-consuming duties (work, kids, etc) while pursuing their goals in medicine. it's gonna be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but good luck

Congratulations on making the decision to become a doctor!

I'm 26 now, and always wanted to be a doctor, but because I lacked confidence at school (although my grades were always good), I made myself believe that I didn't have what it takes.

I've been working in a scientific environment now for 3 years, having done microbiology for 4 years at University. Studying medicine was always at the back of my mind, and once I went and found out about applying and stuff, I realised I could do it and more importantly, it is what I truly want to do in life.

You've made that decision, and it's so important to stick with it if you want to achieve that goal. You are lucky to have a supportive family, and I'm sure your husband will be supportive once he sees that you are serious about reaching your goal.

I know several people who have come to the idea later in life when they are already married with children, and they have all managed to get into and through med school.

Just keep going, believe in yourself, and you'll get there eventually!

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I don't expect it to be easy. :)

I feel so "behind" to be my age and still only a sophomore working on my bachelors, Oi!

Oh well, if I can make it through this semester of a sick/breastfeeding baby, a preschooler, a husband who thinks housework will kill him, a full-time job, and a full-time load of distance courses, maybe I'll be alright. (hoping to quit my job and get back in school full-time if my husband would ever keep a job of his own) *groan*

:p

Manna.... Tabbycat.... much respect to you guys.... I really hope you both make it in and become amazing physicians...

manna,

i'm quitting my job which almost pays 6 figs to go to post-bacc program... I'm older than you. FOLLOW YOUR HEART!!!

As long as it keeps pumping then you can make it.

:clap: :clap: