Out-rotations to get bronch/procedural numbers up...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darthmicrobius

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to start pulm/cc fellowship come this July at a small DO program that doesnt offer much in the way of pulmonary. The hospital is supposed to get the equipment to be able to do EBUS this summer, but the push for this is streamlined by a thoracic surgeon who does EBUS so Im not even sure how much practice I will get with this (face palm). Past fellows have graduated with ~ 150 bronchs total, and little if any EBUS/nav bronch, no trachs... All of those are things I hope to get some-what proficient at over the next 3 years. There is pretty good exposure at my shop to every other bread and butter ICU procedure apart from what I mentioned.

One good thing is that my program allows fellows to rotate anywhere out of house for extended periods to increase procedural numbers. This is a really general question, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to look to rotate (in the US or even abroad) that accepts outside fellows, has a high volume of procedures, and would likely be open and willing to train an eager pulm/cc fellow.

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer regarding this. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am about to start pulm/cc fellowship come this July at a small DO program that doesnt offer much in the way of pulmonary. The hospital is supposed to get the equipment to be able to do EBUS this summer, but the push for this is streamlined by a thoracic surgeon who does EBUS so Im not even sure how much practice I will get with this (face palm). Past fellows have graduated with ~ 150 bronchs total, and little if any EBUS/nav bronch, no trachs... All of those are things I hope to get some-what proficient at over the next 3 years. There is pretty good exposure at my shop to every other bread and butter ICU procedure apart from what I mentioned.

One good thing is that my program allows fellows to rotate anywhere out of house for extended periods to increase procedural numbers. This is a really general question, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on where to look to rotate (in the US or even abroad) that accepts outside fellows, has a high volume of procedures, and would likely be open and willing to train an eager pulm/cc fellow.

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer regarding this. Thanks!

I did a month at Penn although my home program had a reasonable interventional volume (was contemplating IP at the time) .
They had 3 OR days / week ( were planning on increasing to 5 soon ) . I did close to 100 procedures that month ( mostly EBUS but everything else as well ). And it was February , so technically I was there for 12 OR days . They would do 8-14 procedures a day , it was hectic but totally worth it.

Why not ask the thoracic surgeon if you can participate in his procedures, unless there's a thoracic fellowship that you'd be competing with?

Reactions: 1 user