Outdoor hobbies and urban schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but if I want to go to an urban school, should I omit outdoor hobbies (hiking or kayaking for example) on AMCAS? I was thinking it might be a reason for a school to assume I'm not really interested. Anybody have advice?

Members don't see this ad.

DPPM said:
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but if I want to go to an urban school, should I omit outdoor hobbies (hiking or kayaking for example) on AMCAS? I was thinking it might be a reason for a school to assume I'm not really interested. Anybody have advice?

lol. are u serious? so if i wrote weight lifting as an interest and the school doesn't have a gym they'll think i am not for real?

put your hobbies it'll show you're well rounded.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
roca88 said:
you need more urban-friendly activities.

"gun toting" and "bustin a cap in the po-po ridin dirty" might help ur app more at urban schools.

good luck.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

don't worry about it. big cities near water will have places where one can launch boats. big cities are often usually at most an hour's travel from the countryside.

so why do you want to go to an urban school (despite your interests in these activities)? some urban schools will let you give reasons on their secondary.

roca88 said:
you need more urban-friendly activities.

"gun toting" and "bustin a cap in the po-po ridin dirty" might help ur app more at urban schools.

good luck.
I dunno. Even with my minor in intraurban small unit warfare I didn't get into Hopkins. I was sure they'd think Baltimore was a good fit for me.

Brainsucker said:
I dunno. Even with my minor in intraurban small unit warfare I didn't get into Hopkins. I was sure they'd think Baltimore was a good fit for me.
you probably took all the wrong classes. maryland is real into light infantry stuff, I'm assuming you made a newbie mistake and went in for artillery.

tsk tsk.

this thread is wonderfully surreal. :)

DPPM said:

yeah...Penn is definitely an urban school but there are many opportunities for kayaking and hiking in parks throughout the city (and outside of the city)

hope u all minored in slinging crack.

Please don't let the location of a school prevent you from showing who you are in the AMCAS. Schools will appreciate this outdoorsy you. Any urban school will be within driving distance of outdoor adventures anyway.