outpatient benefits of a stroke fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SheepNeurology

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the benefits of doing a stroke fellowship with regards to outpatient stroke practice? the neurologists i've met in community practice all express their comfort in managing stroke secondary prevention through self-education or CME.

i'm already considering a neurocritical care fellowship and hope to take on telestroke and stroke clinic during some of my non-ICU time. trying to evaluate whether there is any benefit to doing a stroke fellowship before or after the ICU fellowship.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's one stroke + NCC faculty at our institution - he doesn't do stroke as an outpatient but has the advantage of being able to attend on the stroke service and take stroke call in addition to the NNICU, which gives him flexibility and a bit of a break from the giant cluster of terribleness that is being even remotely associated with an NNICU.

I don't think that many stroke neurologists get into stroke because of the thrilling outpatient workups, though.

If you do NCC, a stroke fellowship is probably a waste of your time. I guess you would have the benefit of being able to attend on the stroke service, as the other poster suggests. Many neurohospitalists are not stroke trained and do plenty of telestroke. Stroke clinic is mostly pretty boring - hospital follow up and secondary stroke prevention, but you do get the occasional Moya Moya type case. Doing a stroke fellowship would allow you to manage these more complex cases which a standard residency would not really prepare you for.

Reactions: 1 user