Outpatient psychiatry specific EMR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usopen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a fourth year medical student with business/startup background who is currently working to develop a outpatient psychiatry specific EMR. This EMR will first be implemented and tested at my sister's outpatient clinic. She is a CA psychiatrist.

I have discussed this with my sister, but she has limited experience in the outpatient setting so I am trying to get some help from some of you guys with more extensive outpatient experience. Which functions of EMR do you think it is important to have in outpatient setting for psychiatry? I am trying to build a simple and light EMR, but obviously with all of the important functionalities that an outpatient psychiatrist needs.

Here are some functionalities I am currently working on.
- Patient self-scheduling
- Secure messaging between patients and providers
- Patient self-check-in, self-payment
- Self-questionnaire (for the waiting room)
- Note taking with templates (for efficient coding and maximized efficiency)
- Superbill generation
- Automatic insurance verification (??)
- Electronic lab ordering (??)
- Electronic prescription (??)

Any other functions do you think are necessary?

Also, how often do you guys order labs yourself vs. just refer them to their primary care doctors to get labs? Implementing electronic lab ordering and prescribing functions is very expensive and complicated, and I am at least trying to avoid adding the electronic lab ordering function.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any other functions do you think are necessary?

If you plan to market to Medicare participating physicians, federal policy has a thing or two to say about that. That'll be another consultant...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan to market to Medicare participating physicians, federal policy has a thing or two to say about that. That'll be another consultant...
Ah thanks for the hint. I would look into that