outright acceptance with Jan or later interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read on another post that if you interview in January or later, the chances are very slim of getting an outright acceptance-- most will get waitlisted. All of my interviews were in Jan. or later. Has anyone with a late interview gotten in without being waitlisted first?

Members don't see this ad.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by WestGirl:
I read on another post that if you interview in January or later, the chances are very slim of getting an outright acceptance-- most will get waitlisted. All of my interviews were in Jan. or later. Has anyone with a late interview gotten in without being waitlisted first?

It is very possible to get an acceptance without being on the waitlist when interviewing after January. Just because a class fills up in december doesn't mean much because spots are constantly opening up. For example, UIC med filled up in December but as of two weeks ago, open spots were still available at all campuses. Of course, the chances of this occuring are much higher at places that use rolling admissions where acceptances are given out throughout the application year instead of all at once.

At schools like UIC there is so much movement, that spots are always opening up that allow people to skip the waitlist entirely. This is especially true of the larger med schools.

If you interview in late March or April though, you are probably destined for the wait-list.

Hi. I was interviewed in late January and received an acceptance letter a week later. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
One late January interview, one mid-February interview. Accepted to both. It depends on the school; some make a point of keeping slots open until the very end of their season (the school I interviewed at in Jan specifically mentioned that they do this.)

Good luck.

Asteras, are you at UIC now? My last (will be my 7th) interview is at UIC next week. Being that it's so late, you think it's likely that I'll get waitlisted there? It sounds like I might have a chance of an acceptance still with that much movement...

All interviews after Jan 8 (August MCATer).

Three acceptances (with withdrawals from two to follow).
One "hold" til April.
One waitlist.
One "alternate" (is this the same as a waitlist?).
Waiting on five, three of which are rolling, two are supposedly non-rolling.

[This message has been edited by Oceandust (edited 03-19-2001).]

this is for asteras1 and westgirl,

asteras1- i am interviewing at uic this friday. however, the interview is in chicago and i am very interested in the MD/JD program that is offered at the Urbana campus. What is Urbana like? I wish that I had time to get down there and check it out but I just don't.

westgirl,

when are you interviewing at uic?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by japhy:
this is for asteras1 and westgirl,

asteras1- i am interviewing at uic this friday.

Me too!

Interviewed January 19th....accepted February 20th (not notified til March 3rd, however!)
smile.gif

August MCAT
Four interviews in Jan/Feb
Three acceptances and one waitlist
I actually have one more interview in April (this is really late!!) but they swear that there are still plenty of open spots.

So don't worry--there is still hope!

-westgirl,

No, I am not in at UIC but I did interview back in February. I think the committee probably reviewed my completed file last week and I will call them thursday to find out what they decided to do. I should note that I interviewed at the Rockford campus instead of Chicago. I first asked for an interview at the Chicago campus. I changed it however to Rockford so I could push the interview date up more than month earlier. If I would have interviewed at the Chicago campus, I would be interviewing on Friday. The campus at which you interview makes no difference where you will attend school if you get in. Usually you'll get a choice but if Chicago is full you may be forced to go to one of the other campuses like Rockford or Peoria. (Rockford 1st year is at the Urbana campus).

I just read on www.interviewfeedback.com that Chicago is full right now. Very full. Admissions standards have also been raised as well and so fewer admissions are going out this year than last year. When I interviewed in February, one of the Deans at Rockford said a few spots were open at Chicago as well as at the other campuses. The fact that UIC is curbing its number of acceptances doesn't bode well for people that will be interviewing late because this lowers the absolute number of acceptances that will be given out between now and when classes begin. The wait-list though isn't exactly the kiss of death so don't lose hope. You may not get in at the first committee review after your interview but you may get an acceptance during the summer. I have heard of people getting a phone call the day before class was to begin.

You say UIC is your 7th interview...Wow! That is 7x better than I so you must be a strong applicant who probably stands a strong chance of getting at the first available open spot. I am surprised that you were given an interview so late in the year. Are you from out-of-state?

Personally, I am not very optimistic about my chances because my MCAT score just flat out sucks. I have an average amount of extra-currics but the best thing about my app is my GPA and my letters of rec. Hopefully my interview was good enough to put me over but I think I blew it to be honest.

I think the adcom meets in once in the middle of each month. Like I said, I think they met last week. If you interview next week, it looks like your application will not be reviewed until mid-April when the adcom meets again. Only completed applications (with the interview included) are sent to the adcom for final review.

I wish you luck! You seem to be a strong applicant.

-japhy,

Urbana is your basic college town with lots of parties, beer, flashers, etc.
smile.gif
It is very different from UIC and I know this because I was an undergrad at UIC for 2 years before I transferred out. From what I've been told, the MD/PhD program at Urbana is excellent and many students in it are pleased. Urbana students also have a high pass rate on the boards as well which is a plus. However, this may be due to the large number of MD/PhD students at Urbana that are, to put it simply, "uberstudents."
smile.gif

I'm not very familiar with the MD/JD program here but the law school is well regarded. I think that the class size for the med school down here is smaller. Not having to deal with Chicago's ridiculous rush hour traffic is also a very good thing. Living costs in C-U are much cheaper than Chicago. C-U isn't nearly as big as Chicago. The town is just like a very large suburb of Chicago. The only difference being that it is surrounded by farmland. I like going to school here. Leaving UIC to come here for my undergrad was probably the best decision I ever made.

Hope this helps.

Asteras,

Yeah, I'm from California. I don't think I am a very strong applicant, but have a unique application. Frankly, I'm suprised that I received 7 interviews. When I got the invitation, I was offered an interview two weeks earlier in Peoria, however the airfare was double and I was told my the admissions person that my file would not be reviewed sooner if I interviewed on the earlier date, so I decided to go with Chicago to save money. Well, good luck! Hopefully you will be getting an acceptance soon!

[
westgirl,

when are you interviewing at uic?[/B]•
japhy, I am interviewing next friday, I'll miss you by a week. I wish you the best of luck!! Let me know how you like the Chicago campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
asteras,

thanks you for your repsonse. do you know of any web sites fro urbana (travel council, etc)

westgirl,

good luck to you next week. i will let you knwo how it goes tomorrow.

westgirl,

good luck to you next week. i will let you knwo how it goes tomorrow.[/B]•

Japhy, I just thought to ask you...do you have a recommendation where I should stay for the interview? How did you like UIC? I hope you say you liked it, I'm looking forward to visiting....

Yes, it's very possible to get accepted. Keep in mind that AAMC requires schools to give acceptances equal to their class size by March 15. However, this doesn't mean the class is filled. A school typically accepts twice their class size to fill the class.

YES!!! I interviewed Feb. 28th at the University of Maryland and just got my acceptance letter today. As an aside, I interviewed at 3 schools in October and 1 in December and was waitlisted at ALL of those schools. Keep hope!!

I think the person who was talking about getting waitlisted after January was just trying to make people nervous. Considering that most schools interview starting in October and go through March, it doesn't make any sense that they'd fill the class after about half of their total interviews.

I interviewed for a school on Feb.13 and got accepted a month later. If they interview they have spots-if you are interviewed late and put on waiting list they take people from waitlist a lot. Most med school personnel are quite busy and don't need to spend time interviewing for fun! So keep the spirits up!

I interviewed at Temple in mid-February and was accepted yesterday. Interviewed at another school in November and was wait-listed. I'm still waiting to hear from a school at which I interviewed in February. So, no, interviewing after January is not detrimental. Actually, I believe most students are probably interviewed from January to March.

westgirl,

i was fortunate enough to have friends in chicago who have put me up for the weekend. actually i am still out in chicago where the weather is wonderful. i woudl try contacting the school to see if they have any arrangements made with local hotels. many schools have special rates so it is worth checking out.

as for the school, i enjoyed the tour, the students etc. although i guess with the chicago campus being full it puts things in flux. they are building new research labs which look nice (i can't remember when they are supposed to be done). if you have time there is lots to see and do in chicago. i would recommend the art institute of chicago, the shops on michigan ave., geeting a great slice of pizza, etc etc

also be warned that there is a LOT of downtime during the day. bring a book to read while you wait. the interviews are very relaxed even though it is a panel. not too difficult questions.

WestGirl,

One of my good friends is an M1 at UCDavis. When she was applying last year, she didn't receive an interview there until the end of April 2000; she received a phone call the following May and learned that she had been accepted. Don't give up hope yet.

Thanks everyone, I still haven't heard a word from the schools where I've interviewed (first one in early Jan.) I feel a lot better after hearing from you--I'll keep hoping for some GOOD news (please!!).

I got 6 interviews in Jan/Feb/March.
Two waitlists.
Three haven't said anything.
One on Friday.

KEEPING HOPE ALIVE!

I had an interview in late Jan and 2 in late Feb. I got accepted into 2 of them after a week and waitlisted on the other.

Well, a couple of weeks and I did hear from one school, but I got an acceptance into an M.S. program where they expect you to reapply this fall. If you get accepted this next time around, you can apply your med school courses to the masters degree and still receive it. It's a great back-up if I don't get in anywhere (as sort of a post-bac/research) but I still haven't heard from six schools. The program begins in June. What do I do??

what school is that? sounds like a good backup. wish i had heard of it. so, to get this straight--you can apply the med courses to the MS....but if you do get in to their med program, can you apply the courses you take this fall to your MD?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by WestGirl:
Well, a couple of weeks and I did hear from one school, but I got an acceptance into an M.S. program where they expect you to reapply this fall. If you get accepted this next time around, you can apply your med school courses to the masters degree and still receive it. It's a great back-up if I don't get in anywhere (as sort of a post-bac/research) but I still haven't heard from six schools. The program begins in June. What do I do??

interviewed first week april accepted first week of may at uic

A feb 13th got me an outright acceptance.

A March 26th got me an outright acceptance.

Why is a super old thread being resurrected?

jan. interview
also accepted.

Hi Westgirl, I'm from Cali too and I interviewed at UCI and UCLA in late March--got accepted to UCLA without being on the waitlist last week =). I wasn't a numbers heavy applicant, but I was "different" too--good luck. :)

Jan and Apr outright acceptances

:)

I got accepted a month after my early april interview.:clap:

Interviewed on Feb 5th (first choice)... accepted March 23. :)

To the OP:

Its definetely possible to get an outright acceptance with a late interview. Going into the whole process I was told repeatedly that I'd probably get waitlisted and if lucky, be accepted off the waitlist! I was an August Mcater, submitted my applications (secondaries and all) in early Nov! I applied to 16 schools, got 8 interviews, recieved an outright acceptance to three (two with scholarship), got off the wailist for my top choice school, and am still on 4 wailists.
My motto: If I can do it, anyone can

At schools with non-rolling admissions, it shouldn't make a difference whether you interview in September or February. Schools with rolling admissions usually keep spots open until at least March. When I got a Feb interview at a very competitive school (rolling admissions), I also figured it was for the WL--after all, if they really thought I was a good candidate, wouldn't they have interviewed me earlier? But I got accepted a month later. On the other hand, I interviewed at three other very competitive schools in October (1 rolling, 2 non-rolling) and got a rejection and 2 waitlists. So don't read too much into the date of your interview.

Interviewed mid-Feb at Yale (non-rolling); accepted in late March outright. At the interview, the admissions director assured me that the date of my interview had 0 impact on likelihood of admission.

McT

I interviewed at U. Miami in late January and was accepted about 2 weeks later. I also have a few friends who interviewed late Jan. and Feb. who were accepted at both rolling and non-rolling schools.

I interviewed at Cornell in late February and was accepted two weeks later along with the rest of the initial acceptees.

Interviewed at UVa at the end of Jan. and got an outright acceptance a week later. Gotta love admissions committees that are fast!!!!!!!!!:D