Outside of medicine.. why be a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you ask the average premed WHY probably 90% will say "I love medicine.. I love to help people.. blah blah blah."

Sounds incredibly boring and repetitive that it makes you sympathize with the Adcoms and makes you wonder why they hold onto their sanity. So what is the ulterior motive?

For instance, if I ever decide on a different field, would be dentistry. An easier life style, and oh..my..god.. the nurses! For some reason the dentist nurses still wear those sexy nurse outfits, and they like putting their breasts on your face when they're cleaning your teeth and.. oh right, gotta keep this PG.

For me personally I feel that medicine is a job I could feel proud doing and hopefully feel good about myself when all has been said and done. Not to mention a nice paycheck and the girls..

Members don't see this ad.

please tell me this is a joke

Originally posted by lola
please tell me this is a joke

Of course, look at the icon of the post :)

Members don't see this ad :)
FREEEEEEEEEEEE cafeteria food.... the most nutritionally sound/balanced food on Earth....... not to mention working cute, sweet, young interns? doesn?t get any better than that? :D

No pelvic exams or breast exams in dentistry (unless you're a pervert dentist who uses sedatives to get their jollies).

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
No pelvic exams or breast exams in dentistry (unless you're a pervert dentist who uses sedatives to get their jollies).

Q, DO

Man.. that on cute girl in your avatar... if being a medical student increase one chances of dating women like that then.. heck.. sign me up... **** my girlfriend is coming.. gotta go..

Originally posted by TTSD
For instance, if I ever decide on a different field, would be dentistry. An easier life style, and oh..my..god.. the nurses! For some reason the dentist nurses still wear those sexy nurse outfits, and they like putting their breasts on your face when they're cleaning your teeth and.. oh right, gotta keep this PG.

dude, that is so true eheh why is it so many of the dental nurses are hot? and i never did understand why i always had breasts on me while getting a cleanup. hmm maybe i ought to go for dentistry! :laugh:

I think I'd rather be a doctor and not brush my teeth! :laugh:

-X

Originally posted by Winston Smith
dude, that is so true eheh why is it so many of the dental nurses are hot? and i never did understand why i always had breasts on me while getting a cleanup. hmm maybe i ought to go for dentistry! :laugh:

Originally posted by xanthines
I think I'd rather be a doctor and not brush my teeth! :laugh:

-X

Funny you should say that. I know a doctor, REALLY smart man, but he does not brush his teeth. He's really big in researching oxidative damage and other cytotoxicities and is paranoid about the fluoride in toothpaste. And he wonders why his wife is no longer intimate with him..

If you ask the average premed WHY probably 90% will say "I love medicine.. I love to help people.. blah blah blah."

Masochism :p

I'm all about the white lab coat.

For me personally I feel that medicine is a job I could feel proud doing and hopefully feel good about myself

Also, don't forget about the privilege of sharing dentist and chiropractor jokes with colleagues.

Originally posted by HessExpress

ooh, me too! and that cool blue script with your name on the pocket...makes you feel as though you've arrived. I may not always have wanted to be a doctor, but i've known i wanted the stethoscope and little knee-tapping hammer thing since I was six years old...

Originally posted by HessExpress

Speaking of which - If I see one more freshman wearing his labcoat to the cafeteria, I'm gonna kick his @$$. Dude, I know you're gonna be doctor; we're all gonna be doctors. But you just came from the gross anat. lab. That's frickin' sick!!!

AHHHHHHH!!! Why does medicine attract so many freaky little idiots. Sure they can memorize the Citric Acid Cycle and every protocol the profs throw at them. But they're so @#$^#$% annoying. I knew I should have chosen a lower ranked school - one that accepts actual human beings.

Wait... they accepted me. :confused: ...confused... I'm gonna hafta go think about this for a while.

Originally posted by Winston Smith

For that you don't have to be a dentist, you just need cleaning quite often:D

I always wondered why they even bother asking that. There are only so many answers. I'm sure the odd duck here or there has an interesting story to tell about the liver transplant he underwent at age 8, or the promise she made to her dying grandmother, or something, but for the most part, I think we all do truly want to help people. Or at least I do. I've spent my whole life wondering what the best way to do that is, and I truly think this is it. Paycheck and nurses notwithstanding.

Sounds incredibly boring and repetitive that it makes you sympathize with the Adcoms and makes you wonder why they hold onto their sanity. So what is the ulterior motive?

For me personally I feel that medicine is a job I could feel proud doing and hopefully feel good about myself when all has been said and done. Not to mention a nice paycheck and the girls..

damn what dentist office do you go to???

i gotta go to the dentist more often.......im missing out.

So besides fighting fires, why do you want to be a firefighter?

Originally posted by acretinmelon
I'm sure the odd duck here or there has an interesting story to tell about the liver transplant he underwent at age 8, or the promise she made to her dying grandmother, or something, but for the most part, I think we all do truly want to help people.

It was a kidney transplant at 6.