OUWB (Half Scholarship) vs SUNY Downstate (WL acceptance)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYork69

Upcoming MS-1
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Just got WL acceptance SUNY downstate, now in a (excitingly) stressful predicament. I have 5 business days to make this decision.

OUWB - Oakland University William Beaumont ($55,000 COA including living costs)
Pros
  • Beaumont Health System is an amazing hospital system, very prestigious from what I am reading with multiple surgical specialties nationally ranked. I have broad surgical interests, namely in Urology, ENT, Ortho, Ophtho, and potentially thoracic surgery - the Beaumont system is valuable to me because I imagine I will be able to make + leverage connections to best prepare me to match into the residency of my dreams.
  • Small class size (125), peer and physician-faculty mentorship program, research-focused curriculum that more or less makes research mandatory, all of which I believe will help my residency endeavors. As a first-gen everything, I know nothing and have to always learn from scratch. Mentorship is high-priority to me.
  • Half tuition scholarship, personalized call to inform of acceptance and then a few weeks later, scholarship. After getting WL'ed by 5 schools, this school not only outright accepting me, but also offering me a scholarship has made an eternal impact on my life.

Cons
  • OOS, away from family/friends.
  • Non pass/fail pre-clinical education (don't really hate this because I know most schools still rank internally anyways and I plan on working hard no matter what)
  • Newer medical school, not yet formally "ranked" - however it seems that it will be well-recognized considering the hospital system association
SUNY Downstate ($~85,000-$90,000 COA including living expenses [NYC])
Pros
  • More established school, older, etc. Staple to healthcare delivery in Brooklyn in an area that I grew up near (originally from NYC, even born at one of their hospitals)
  • Higher stats, ranked.
  • Opportunity to make waves with Weill Cornell, Columbia, NYU hospital systems for residency apps
  • Pass/fail curriculum
  • In-state, family and friends in the city and immediate family 3 hours north

Cons
  • Large(r) class size, lack of mentoring programs (from what I know)
  • Urban environment (Cost of living being the issue primarily)
  • No scholarship or financial aid incentive (yet) - I did call and speak with financial aid and it sounds like they are going to try to come up with something to compete

Summary: I am nervous to leave NYS but excited if OUWB is really the place to be. OUWB has made me feel so valued as a future doctor. The scholarship made up for the pain I went through during this cycle.

Downstate has always been a top choice on my radar for years, but I was disappointed to be put on WL. It hurt. I still have these schools left for WL too, if that provides any helpful info:

Rochester - Letter of Intent sent in early April, prior to OUWB admit + scholarship
Buffalo - alma mater, extremely disappointed to have been WL'ed
Stony Brook - great school, but we'll see
Upstate - Closest to home (upstate NY for my family currently)

Thank you all, future docs. I appreciate you all and wish us all the best.

Members don't see this ad.

It very does seem like in your heart you know where you want to go, based on what you've written here!! 😝

OUWB unless Downstate matches scholarship or puts within striking range

Reactions: 1 user
Oyy tough to justify that cost difference honestly. Also, prices in the city are BONKERS rn. unless downstate can swing some money and close the gap I think OUWB