OUWB (MD) vs Marian (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roshaugh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this forum is inherently biased, but I thought I'd use every resource at my disposal.

OUWB

Pros:

• MD

• Beaumont Hospital is a great rotation site

• 236 Step 1 avg.

• Rochester Hills seems like a nice area
Cons:

• An hour further from family

• Required attendance for Honors

• Would need to pay for housing
Marian

Pros:

• Free housing

• I currently work at their affiliated hospital and I know many of the Doctors and staff, would also get a scholarship from said hospital

• I've lived in Indy for 5 years, so no starting over

• No attendance requirement outside of labs

• Seems like a decent match list
Cons:

• DO (Possibly more difficult to get tougher residencies)
My heart and my brain are telling me two different things. I'm not entirely sure what specialty I want to do. I work in surgery (and love it), but I can also see myself doing certain internal medicine specialties. My biggest fear is choosing Marian and then having a difficult time getting into surgery if that's what I decide. Marian's match list includes some surgery (and even a derm) so it's not impossible. I think I'd be happy at OUWB, but there is just so much more unknown and starting over there. For what it's worth, similar tuition and both new (<10 years old) schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this forum is inherently biased, but I thought I'd use every resource at my disposal.

OUWB

Pros:

• MD

• Beaumont Hospital is a great rotation site

• 236 Step 1 avg.

• Rochester Hills seems like a nice area
Cons:

• An hour further from family

• Required attendance for Honors

• Would need to pay for housing
Marian

Pros:

• Free housing

• I currently work at their affiliated hospital and I know many of the Doctors and staff, would also get a scholarship from said hospital

• I've lived in Indy for 5 years, so no starting over

• No attendance requirement outside of labs

• Seems like a decent match list
Cons:

• DO (Possibly more difficult to get tougher residencies)
My heart and my brain are telling me two different things. I'm not entirely sure what specialty I want to do. I work in surgery (and love it), but I can also see myself doing certain internal medicine specialties. My biggest fear is choosing Marian and then having a difficult time getting into surgery if that's what I decide. Marian's match list includes some surgery (and even a derm) so it's not impossible. I think I'd be happy at OUWB, but there is just so much more unknown and starting over there. For what it's worth, similar tuition and both new (<10 years old) schools.
More doors will be open to you with OUWB

OUWB is incredible and on the come up real fast. I almost was swayed to go there over my top choice. Please go there. You will regret not going there when you gotta take the COMLEX and Step and then need perfection to match into a top specialty