OUWB (Oakland) vs Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowbottlesippin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been fortunate enough to be accepted into these schools currently. I was hoping to be able to choose between these schools. There are a few pros and cons to each school.

Penn State
Pros: Great facilities, well known, global scholars program, great research opportunities, established, great match list, P/F first two years
Cons: Rural area, Step 1 after year 3 (don't know if it is a con),

OUWB:
Pros: Great facility, great research opportunities, good match list
Cons: facility is far, new school, has honors grade designation in first two years

I liked both of these schools at my interview and I am really having a difficult time deciding between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

I am actually in the same scenario. OUWB vs. Pitt vs. Penn State.
I thought the schools themselves were practically the same. I loved the environment of both - they both felt very collaborative and I definitely felt like I meshed with their culture and the other students. For me, it came down to lifestyle. Due to my parents living in Michigan + the rural nature of Penn State, I liked OUWB slightly more. Remember, you have to live there for 4 years ... where did you feel happiest?

Also, for what it's worth, I grew up in metro- Detroit. OUWB has a great reputation in the state of Michigan and I think it is catching up nationally. I don't think the "new school" is as much of an issue as people make it out to be for here, as evidenced by their recent match list.

So personally between OUWB and Penn State I am leaning OUWB, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. (If there is a significant price difference for you, go with the $).

Reactions: 1 user
I have an irrational amount of love for schools that take step after M3 so I may be biased here but Penn.

And your name had me scratching my head to figure out where it was from...now I can't stop singing it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I agree. The area of Detroit is more appealing than Hershey. I will admit that for sure. The recent match list did look good, but it did have a lot of preliminary matches (9 if I remember correctly). I also think Penn State may have an inflated match list due to the facilitated tracts that they have for EM, FM, ortho, and neuro. But yeah I guess my concern was the recent increase in people matching to prelim spots rather than categorical spots.

@tskiihii So you consider that a positive? It's something I am open to for sure, but I just wish there was a precedent of success for me to follow at specifically Penn State.
Gotta love the song though haha!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah I agree. The area of Detroit is more appealing than Hershey. I will admit that for sure. The recent match list did look good, but it did have a lot of preliminary matches (9 if I remember correctly). I also think Penn State may have an inflated match list due to the facilitated tracts that they have for EM, FM, ortho, and neuro. But yeah I guess my concern was the recent increase in people matching to prelim spots rather than categorical spots.

@tskiihii So you consider that a positive? It's something I am open to for sure, but I just wish there was a precedent of success for me to follow at specifically Penn State.
Gotta love the song though haha!

Yes, I consider it a huge positive. I know 6 people who have taken the step after M3 -- I mean there is no way to compare as it's not like they took it before and after, but their mcat and gpa were about average for med students (except 1, who is exceptional i.e @Split Infinity ) and they all scored >260, and more than one of them described it "as cheating" lol If you look at schools that switched, they have also seen an increase in their step score. So while it would be nice to do it before rotations, after certainly seems to have its perks.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I consider it a huge positive. I know 6 people who have taken the step after M3 -- I mean there is no way to compare as it's not like they took it before and after, but their mcat and gpa were about average for med students (except 1, who is exceptional i.e @Split Infinity ) and they all scored >260, and more than one of them described it "as cheating" lol If you look at schools that switched, they have also seen an increase in their step score. So while it would be nice to do it before rotations, after certainly seems to have its perks.

Wow! 260+ would be a dream come true haha. But yeah I understand where you are coming from. You can really apply what you learn from your pre clinical years.

based off your reasoning, it sounds like penn state would work well for you! I also am trying to figure out if step 1 after 3rd year is beneficial...but I have also heard it is!