OUWB vs. Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tryrosine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I was hoping to get some advice about these two schools. I plan to go into surgery or oncology (I know they are way different haha). I am also married with a daughter and would love to be somewhat present for them while I am in medical school. Here are my perceived pro's and cons:

OUWB Pros:
  • Seriously some nice people to deal with so far. The dean has gotten back to me personally about questions, they are incredibly responsive and student-oriented. I know every med school says this, but OUWB really embodies this humanistic attitude.
  • Great access to a level-one trauma center at Beaumont teaching hospital
  • Solid match list (from what I have seen)
  • The area is pretty and family housing is relatively inexpensive
OUWB Cons:
  • OUWB is a newer school and I do not know much about its reputation
  • Required attendance for honors
  • Michigan is cold
Drexel Pros:
  • Well-established, dinosaur of a medical school. I feel like this would confer some stability
  • Good match list
  • Has great teaching hospitals, etc.
  • Philadelphia has a lot of culture, history, and a lot to do for a family with a kid
  • P/F curriculum would mean lots of flexibility
Drexel Cons:
  • More expensive cost of living
  • HUGE class size (260 students)
  • Housing is hard to find near campus, I would like to be close enough to run home if I needed to
  • While faculty at Drexel were kind/etc., people in Philadelphia seemed... angry? I don't mean to be offensive or have thin skin, it was just something I noticed when I was exploring the area. I mostly found this funny being from the West where things are noticeably more laid back.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol yes people from the East are more gritty especially philly and NYC. One of the reasons why i want to move out west. I met a couple people doing research in San Diego and they were super chill. Cali people just have that care free vibe. People here are way more straight arrow. Although i would not put too much stock into this.

I'd go Drexel for the all around better and established school. Philly is packed with opportunities as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I would pick Drexel of the two assuming costs are similar. You get Philly and a more established school with a great match list

Reactions: 1 users
Lol yes people from the East are more gritty especially philly and NYC. One of the reasons why i want to move out west. I met a couple people doing research in San Diego and they were super chill. Cali people just have that care free vibe. People here are way more straight arrow. Although i would not put too much stock into this.

I'd go Drexel for the all around better and established school. Philly is packed with opportunities as well.

upload_2019-1-26_23-0-36.jpeg

Yes we are:cool:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All joking aside OP, it is likely just a culture shock thing.

Housing really isn’t too hard to find. Where were you looking?

Plus side for rotations as a third year.. with a kid, they won’t send you anywhere far.

All joking aside OP, it is likely just a culture shock thing.

Housing really isn’t too hard to find. Where were you looking?

Plus side for rotations as a third year.. with a kid, they won’t send you anywhere far.
Hahaha, I am ideally looking very close to campus, but I honestly know very little about the area including where students typically live. I need to do some more research and maybe talk to some current students I guess.

Hahaha, I am ideally looking very close to campus, but I honestly know very little about the area including where students typically live. I need to do some more research and maybe talk to some current students I guess.

Feel free to message me!

michigan is not cold.. michigan is stupid cold. so cold I often choose to stay inside doors and suffer from hunger for hours than to walk to my car to grab food.