OUWB vs Howard vs Quinnipiac/Netter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'minmedschook

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
Using a 2nd account for anonymity.

I'm grateful to have been accepted to these 3 school. Now its time to decide.
I honestly really don't care much about curriculum stuff (should I?), I just want to learn medicine.
Help a sis out!
Thanks.

OUWB
Pros:
Half-tuition scholarship for 4 yrs (about $115k over 4 yrs).
Curriculum seems well-rounded - Medical ethics, wellness, EMBARK, PRISM, etc.
Mandatory research needed to graduate. (as opposed to optional research only if you're trying to get into a competitive residency)
Seems to be a very friendly environment - staff and students. Community emphasized - Warm and fuzzy feeling.
Interview day was amazing.
Great (residency) match list for a new school
Connected to Beaumont Health - Great rotation sites.
Non-mandatory lectures but need 70% attendance to get honors so not technically non-mandatory
Low-ish cost of living - Suburbs?
Free laptop - Macbook pro (and free printing and parking LOL).

Cons:
Winter!!! I really was trying to escape from the cold especially since I have cold-related medical issues (oh well)!
Newer school - not well known yet but up and coming.
Non-mandatory lectures but need 70% attendance to get honors so not technically non-mandatory
Far from family.
Cost of attendance - 81k (but have a scholarship)
Not pass/fail

HOWARD
Pros:
$15k/year scholarship, renewable yearly.
Well established/Name recognition.
HBCU/Black People/For The Culture - Interview day was kinda okay but my interview group was LIT! - sign of things to come...
Connected to Howard University Hospital.
Non-mandatory lectures.
Not too far from family - 1 hr from a sister in MD, train or car to/from CT (current/home state).
Lowest total cost of attendance out of all choices so far - 75k (low tuition 45k but high cost of living in DC - kinda balances out I guess).
Social life in DC.
Good transportation system in DC - Metro

Cons:
Old facilities/building.
Tour was okay/meh - Didn't get a feel for hospital/school grounds.
Cost of Living in DC is very high.
DC Traffic, etc.
Pre-matriculation program is only for disadvantaged students (government-funded) - may not qualify.
Not pass/fail.

QUINNIPIAC/NETTER
Pros:
Here in home state of CT - Wouldn't have to move.
Familiar.
Family here.
Non-mandatory attendance.
Great (residency) match list for a new school - 100% rate
Small class size (98) - Closer to professors.
Professors focused on teaching - Not own research.
Pre-matriculation program - Early exposure to med school (paid/stipend provided) - This is a great selling point for me.
Brand new facilities.
Pass/Fail grading (preclinical only)

Cons:
Expensive - Cost of Attendance - 86k/yr
Newer school - Not very recognized but up and coming.
No hospital affiliation - Rotations spread out, could be anywhere in CT - Lots of driving.
Familiar - Lived in CT for a long time, I think I need a change of scenery.
Winter!!

Members don't see this ad.

From what you write, it seems like Quinnipiac or Howard would be where you're happiest! I think Howard might be the most exciting based on location/social life and rotations, but Quinnipiac has pass/fail grading and support system nearby.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much for the input @Jeremy Bearimy
Interestingly, Quinnipiac is 3rd choice for me - Mainly bc of cost and feeling the need to relocate but I do see the positives of Quinnipiac which is why its still on the list for me. Thanks again.

I'd like to have some more input from others on here
Thanks in advance!

Bump for visibility.

TL: DR
I really liked OUWB from day 1, it seems like my dream school and the scholarship is a huge draw but its a newer school and Michigan winters would suck!
Howard is well known and I have the opportunity to study medicine with other URMs like me in DC + 15k/yr scholarship.
Quinnipiac is close to home and has the prematric program.

Logic says follow the money (OUWB) but will I be missing out on what Howard has to offer?

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump for visibility.

TL: DR
I really liked OUWB from day 1, it seems like my dream school and the scholarship is a huge draw but its a newer school and Michigan winters would suck!
Howard is well known and I have the opportunity to study medicine with other URMs like me in DC + 15k/yr scholarship.
Quinnipiac is close to home and has the prematric program.

Logic says follow the money (OUWB) but will I be missing out on what Howard has to offer?

Thanks for the input!

I think even though it is a newer school, OUWB does have pretty good recognition. OUWB has historically had very very strong match lists and I don't see that changing (edit: here's this year's). But yes, Michigan winters do such and I would definitely consider that if you are prone to seasonal depression.

As for your other thoughts: the curriculum is ok. Wellness and PRISM are the same and honestly are a waste of time, but it seems like all med schools have some form of "mandatory wellness." EMBARK is what you make of it. Our medical ethics class is awesome.

I do think that OUWB's diversity needs improvement. I don't think URM students get the support they need and many of my URM classmates feel frustration and bitterness about that. Feel free to PM me if you want to learn more about this, since I'm not comfortable going into detail about it on a public forum.

I think even though it is a newer school, OUWB does have pretty good recognition. OUWB has historically had very very strong match lists and I don't see that changing (edit: here's this year's). But yes, Michigan winters do such and I would definitely consider that if you are prone to seasonal depression.

As for your other thoughts: the curriculum is ok. Wellness and PRISM are the same and honestly are a waste of time, but it seems like all med schools have some form of "mandatory wellness." EMBARK is what you make of it. Our medical ethics class is awesome.

I do think that OUWB's diversity needs improvement. I don't think URM students get the support they need and many of my URM classmates feel frustration and bitterness about that. Feel free to PM me if you want to learn more about this, since I'm not comfortable going into detail about it on a public forum.

Thank so much for the input.
Your profile is blocked, can't PM you.