OUWB vs. Mayo Clinic SOM (AZ Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalWaste

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to opinions on OUWB vs. Mayo Clinic Arizona. I know that most on SDN would clearly choose Mayo Clinic (MN), but assuming all things equal (i.e, same financial aid package from each school), would you choose OUWB or Mayo Arizona and why? Part of my issue is that I've seen numerous posts on SDN referring to Mayo in Arizona as a "community" program, as opposed to the world-class flagship facilities in Minnesota. Obviously, it is hard to predict what the reputation of Mayo Arizona will be, as they have no graduates, but I assumed that being part of Mayo Clinic would instantly give them credentials/respect (Mayo clinic is selling Arizona as one and the same with Mayo Minnesota, just a different campus). On the other hand, I've seen negative posts on "newer" medical schools, but OUWB (while new) seems to be getting a big boost from having Beaumont as its teaching hospital (a hospital that has been teaching students from local medical schools for years). Personally, I like both locations and both schools were very impressive on my interview day. Thanks for your thoughts and explanations!

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo AZ becuz when someone asks where you went to med school. u will just say Mayo making u an automatic swagger boss

Reactions: 1 user
Mayo AZ becuz when someone asks where you went to med school. u will just say Mayo making u an automatic swagger boss

While I do appreciate the swagger, do you think this swagger will impress residency programs, provide for better education/training, provide more research opportunities, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious as to opinions on OUWB vs. Mayo Clinic Arizona. I know that most on SDN would clearly choose Mayo Clinic (MN), but assuming all things equal (i.e, same financial aid package from each school), would you choose OUWB or Mayo Arizona and why? Part of my issue is that I've seen numerous posts on SDN referring to Mayo in Arizona as a "community" program, as opposed to the world-class flagship facilities in Minnesota. Obviously, it is hard to predict what the reputation of Mayo Arizona will be, as they have no graduates, but I assumed that being part of Mayo Clinic would instantly give them credentials/respect (Mayo clinic is selling Arizona as one and the same with Mayo Minnesota, just a different campus). On the other hand, I've seen negative posts on "newer" medical schools, but OUWB (while new) seems to be getting a big boost from having Beaumont as its teaching hospital (a hospital that has been teaching students from local medical schools for years). Personally, I like both locations and both schools were very impressive on my interview day. Thanks for your thoughts and explanations!

Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix is ranked as the #1 hospital in the state of Arizona and has been a teaching facility (for residents, fellows, etc.) for many years. It is a world class academic institution and I really can't comprehend how anyone would refer to this hospital as a "community program". As someone who has spent time there recently as a student, I can tell you that I saw people traveling from all over to receive care there. Also, the Arizona campus is not really a new school, it's just a new campus. In addition, matriculating at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine AZ campus gives you the opportunity to do rotations at Mayo Clinic in Rochester if you so choose, which is the highest ranked hospital in the country. You will get outstanding clinical training at Mayo Clinic.

Mayo Clinic Hospital in Phoenix is ranked as the #1 hospital in the state of Arizona and has been a teaching facility (for residents, fellows, etc.) for many years. It is a world class academic institution and I really can't comprehend how anyone would refer to this hospital as a "community program". As someone who has spent time there recently as a student, I can tell you that I saw people traveling from all over to receive care there. Also, the Arizona campus is not really a new school, it's just a new campus. In addition, matriculating at Mayo Clinic School of Medicine AZ campus gives you the opportunity to do rotations at Mayo Clinic in Rochester if you so choose, which is the highest ranked hospital in the country. You will get outstanding clinical training at Mayo Clinic.

This is how I felt about Mayo Arizona, but then I saw numerous historic posts (about residencies/fellowships) making a large distinction between Mayo Arizona and Mayo Minnesota. Just to be clear, the term "community program" came from those historic SDN posts, not from me. I viewed Mayo Arizona as a second campus for Mayo Clinic (and therefore the same medical school as MN, just in a different location), but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being naive.

Get into both and then worry about this super hypothetical "all things equal" question

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Get into both and then worry about this super hypothetical "all things equal" question

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

According to what I heard at interview days, Mayo puts a lot of weight in letters of interest/intent pre-decision. It makes sense to think about this stuff beforehand in case OP wants to write such a letter.

After you graduate from MAZ, your diploma will say "Mayo Clinic School of Medicine." It will not say anything about any "Arizona." It will be perfectly correct to list Mayo Clinic School of Medicine on your CV.