1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Over-preparing?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by heartsink, Aug 6, 2015.

1. heartsink

5+ Year Member

Wasn't able to find threads on general over-preparing for the mcat so I thought I'd ask.

Quick backstory: finishing prereqs in March-april, then I have a gap of ~5 months before I begin a ~6 month long course with ****** for structured mcat studying. That 5 month gap is valuable time I'm wasting and I wanted to spend that time studying on my own, reviewing old classes etc.

That would put my entire mcat prep time at 11 to 12 months.

Is it possible that you can over do it and start to get negative results with studying too much? I have bad study habits and a lot of science to relearn from two years ago, so the slow and steady route seemed safest to me.

Thoughts?

2. dushash

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    IMHO you can't over-prepare in terms of getting negative results, but you can use your time more efficiently than devoting 12 months for just MCAT. It can be done in 6 months. Think about applying cycle time too - you need to be applying earlier for next cycle.

P.S. To be honest with you - you can prepare for MCAT by yourself using online resources and just buy bookset from amazon for content review Kaplan or another brand. Do FL's, Q's packs and in 5 months you can do it from scratch to up to roughly 510 almost guaranteed. And then you can have a good MCAT score before even beginning ****** and even skipping it completely. But that's just how I would do it.

#2 dushash, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    nomdeplume1234 likes this.
  3. heartsink

5+ Year Member

I won't be applying at all until 2017. I should have finished that plan -- structured mcat prep would go ~september-february or march, take MCAT March or April, apply that June.

I wanted to apply in 2016 for the 2017 cycle but i didn't feel good about trying to rush MCAT prep this fall-winter while i took ochem and biochem, and subsequently taking the MCAT next spring while still finishing ochem and biology. I felt like both my gpa and my mcat would suffer for trying to do both at once. When i realized this, it essentially set my entire plan back by a year.

So even if i scrapped ******, finished my prereqs and productively studied for six months for the MCAT, i'd be taking it in September at the very earliest and getting it back either September or October, which is prohibitively late in the cycle and I'd be waiting until next June no matter what. Given that I have to wait until June 2017 at my earliest to apply, I have a year to prepare between finishing classes and taking the mcat. I'm planning on volunteering more after classes finish, though, to make better use of that time.