over the edge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Physics of Math

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think sets an applicant "over the edge"? Assuming the applicant has good GPA/MCAT numbers, impressive EC's, and a well written personal statement, said applicant is homogeneous in a sea of others.

If you can, list two: one self-directed and one competitive.*

E.g.

1-Learning (and testing at a proficient level) a foreign language is an excellent self-directed experience.

2-Ranking in the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition is a competitive based (rank is determined partially on others' scores) addition to even a medical school application.

*Or perhaps it would be better to say, "list one you can complete regardless of other people, and one you have to compete against other people to earn."

As for mine:

1-Inventing to the point of earning royalties is awesome (if not time consuming).
2-Winning (or even getting HM) in The Elie Wiesel Foundation's ethics essay contest.

Be creative. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What do you think sets an applicant "over the edge"? Assuming the applicant has good GPA/MCAT numbers, impressive EC's, and a well written personal statement, said applicant is homogeneous in a sea of others.

If you can, list two: one self-directed and one competitive.*

E.g.

1-Learning (and testing at a proficient level) a foreign language is an excellent self-directed experience.

2-Ranking in the William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition is a competitive based (rank is determined partially on others' scores) addition to even a medical school application.

*Or perhaps it would be better to say, "list one you can complete regardless of other people, and one you have to compete against other people to earn."

As for mine:

1-Inventing to the point of earning royalties is awesome (if not time consuming).
2-Winning (or even getting HM) in The Elie Wiesel Foundation's ethics essay contest.

Be creative. :cool:

honestly
there's no such thing as being over the edge or being too good or being a perfect match for a school
i know people with 3.5's and 30 mcats getting into the mayo school and the top ten
and i know people with 4.0's and 35 mcats having trouble getting into the top ten

its all about just putting all your power into making yourself look good
the more and better you can get, the better it will be for your chances of getting into a school

The list was for inspiration/motivation/suggestion. Most MS applicants are in a rut and fail to think outside the box.

Also, by "over the edge" I meant a competitive edge, not guaranteed acceptance. That inference was entirely your own.

Learning a language not only helps with medical school, but is a good skill to learn for life. The contests I mentioned are known for making people think hard and learn new things, also a good life trait.

P.S. These 3.5, 30's wouldn't happen to have MS applicant profiles one could see? I'm wondering what on earth they must have done to justify mayo...;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The list was for inspiration/motivation/suggestion. Most MS applicants are in a rut and fail to think outside the box.

Also, by "over the edge" I meant a competitive edge, not guaranteed acceptance. That inference was entirely your own.

Learning a language not only helps with medical school, but is a good skill to learn for life. The contests I mentioned are known for making people think hard and learn new things, also a good life trait.

P.S. These 3.5, 30's wouldn't happen to have MS applicant profiles one could see? I'm wondering what on earth they must have done to justify mayo...;)

well honestly there are ALOT of things you can do to make yourself more competitive
having 200+ hours of volunteering (non-medical, soup kitchens etc)
having 500+ hours of hospital volunteering
having 200+ hours shadowing more then 3 doctors
having a few trump card LOR's, ex. having the head of a well known hospital write you a extremely strong letter
having as close to a 4.0 as possible
having as close to a 45 on the mcat

languages of course are very helpful
also having a creative backround ex. a minor or double major in the humanities or something that makes you stand out versus the normal science majority

and honestly i've read about 100 or so medical apps on medapps
either these people on sdn are lieing or medical schools pick out people literally on random

otherwise
there are alot of things you can do and probably will do
just dont lose yourself in between the work and things :laugh: